cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow Us to turn on and off personal folders in Dropbox Business teams

New named Dropbox structure

t4ngml
Helpful | Level 6

I am a user of DropBox Business, on Windows 10.

Last week, I suddenly realized that the shortcuts to some of my Dropbox folders were broken.

A quick look learned me that the structure had changed.

While I used to access my folder through:

C:/User/{username}/Dropbox (COMPANY NAME)/, I can now find them at:
C:/User/{username}/{COMPANY NAME} Dropbox/MyFirstName LASTNAME/

Now, both structures seem to remain while the first one is now a hidden shortcut (although I can't seem to see where it links to).

So that I don't really know where my files actually are.

Is this change documented anywhere?

Thanks

After a couple of days, I realized this happened to all of this Dropbox Business users across the company, Mac and Windows, and that it messes up with backup strategies.

I didn't find anything about this new structure in DropBox's changelog.

147 Replies 147

cstanton
New member | Level 2

You're taking the change of entire company folder structures pretty casually. I can't express in words how upset I am with dropbox at the moment. 

LAUBlab
Helpful | Level 5

yes it is unbelievable. their support not seem to understand at all what disaster they provide due this "update"

Herman P.4
Helpful | Level 5

Please incorperate the ability to disable the new personal folders you created in the latest update. We have a business account with you and have no need for that folder to be on our computers. It just causes confusion and files being placed in the wrong folders.

Thank you

pacergh
Helpful | Level 6

DropBox recently changed their business acounts in a number of ways.  Notably, my previous settings of everything being local are not screwed up, and I am having to RE-download EVERYTHING after going back and forcing everything to local.  What a bloody mess.

But the bigger issue are the changes to Team Folders.

Team Folders used to appear within my user-folder.  I.E. /pacergh/TEAM-FOLDER-HERE

Now all organizational team folders are in an organizational DropBox Folder (which replaced my business DropBox folder) as a top-level folder.

And my individual user-folder is within this top-level folder as well, next to all the team folders.

Okay, so it's not that I can't understand this change in default behavior.  The problem is that a number of syncing services sync per DropBox ACCOUNT, and do not sync to DropBox TEAMS or ORGANIZATIONS like my business.

This was not a problem when team folders showed up within my individual business DropBox folder, with that folder being the top-level one.  I could create a team folder in my folder, and it would go across all the other team members within my organization.  The upside is that anytime someone joined the team, they would have the folder automatically.  Fantastic.  Leaving the organization?  It would be removed automatically.  Fantastic.

NOW?  Ugh.  So, the same functionality CAN be done with shared folders that are shared with EVERYONE.  But Team Folders have (or had, maybe everything has changed since I last dived into this) different feature sets that are helpful that a simple shared folder does not.  (In fact, I DO have multiple Shared Folders shared with everyone that DropBox recommends I make into Team Folders . . . yeah, no, not how this transition has gone!)

Anyhow, long story short, because Team Folders have been YANKED out of DropBox Business individual folders and moved to a new Top Level organizational folder, and we cannot place them back in there, all my bloody Team Folder syncing systems have become broken.

So, thanks DropBox.  Thanks for all your ham-fisted transitions.

Has anyone found a way around this?  Anyone see integration partners be able to sync with Team Folders now?  (I assume DropBox will provide new integration tools for this they did not have back when Team Folders first came out?)

Or am I just stuck making a bunch of Shared Folders shared with everyone (or finally migrating to Google Drive, which my business already pays for, or MS OneDrive, which my business already pays for, or going with an alternative like Box, which would probably have other idiosyncratic madness).

I very much miss when DropBox was a cloud-storage and syncing solution, and wasn't trying to be some do-it-all Business platform.  It was a great, easy-to-use file storage and syncing solution that didn't require a lot of time to manage.  Now I'm spending more and more time trying to manage my DropBox setup than doing my bloody work, and their other solutions frankly are not competitive with other companies' offerings.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @pacergh, thanks for your feedback about this change.

As you outlined, during the migration the structure of your Dropbox changed and it is possible that this change has disrupted the functionality of some apps you are using.

If simply relinking these apps again is not enough to restore functionality, we would recommend reaching out to the developer of these 3rd party apps. They should be able to assist with setting up the apps again or modifying the settings of existing apps to allow them to function as before.

The 3rd party app developers can find everything they need to update their app here and are welcome to reach out to our developer support.

Let us know if you have anything else to add. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

MattS91
Helpful | Level 6

Am I the only one who is getting frustrated by the lack of Customer Service from the support team? They don't communicate among themselves so you end up repeating yourself over and over to people who seem incapable of doing anything but following the same script that leads nowhere. 

Then when you finally (after speak with several people) get progressed to someone supposedly senior they make you repeat everything because they can't see the logs of whats already been done! Make promises about escalating it to the engineering team but keep presenting hurdles rather than giving information upfront. 

It's been over a week and they are still requesting information rather than escalating issues. This account upgrade has ruined our file storage and still no resolution in-sight

This issues we are having are frustrating enough without your support team creating barriers the entire process.

0/10 for all Net Promoter Score reviews until as an organization you learn how to provide basic customer service!

MattS91
Helpful | Level 6

@Megan It's been over a week since this started and no resolution is in sight. 

Ticket #18647070. Every other ticket has been closed despite no resolution. 

Dropbox's customer support is abysmal!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @MattS91, sorry to hear about that! 

I just checked the ticket number reference that you've provided, and it seems an agent has been in contact with you recently. 

Your patience on this is much appreciated, and I see where you're coming from. Keep in mind that I'll forward your feedback to the appropriate areas so we can continue to improve our product and Support. 

If you need anything else, let me know. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MattS91
Helpful | Level 6

@Megan your support are not understanding the issue.

ALL OUR TEAM FOLDERS ARE SHARED FOLDERS! ONE PERSON NOW CONTROLS 99% OUR ENTIRE ACCOUNT!

This is no what we were told about the upgrade.

We can't move shared folders into the teams space to recreate what we once had! 

I keep opening tickets yet non of the support staff understand that Dropbox has destroyed our file system and admins can no longer administer our account!

This is very frustrating and honestly think Dropbox need to acknowledge their mistake and fix it!

You are being far to casual about ruining organisations and the cost we are absorbing because of this! 

Dropbox is no longer fit for purpose!

marathon
Helpful | Level 6

What's worse is that during the first few hours/days after the "Upgrade" I was able to move folders from [Your Name Here] up one level so they were back where they used to be. It seems that Dropbox did a "bug fix" to close this loophole so it isn't possible any more. But the folders I did drag are left in a weird state, some of them deny access to me, and tell me I must be an Admin. I *am* the Admin.

So it wasn't just a bad design decision to pull the architectural rug out from all their paying Business customers -- their implementation was faulty, as well.

Make you/me/us realize that "cloud-based storage" is delicate and we are at the whim of these companies. For a company like Dropbox to delete all local copies of OUR files and move them to the cloud WITHOUT PERMISSION sounds borderline criminal to me. You can market it with "we've moved you from Sync to Cloud-based with optional 'offline storage' but that is a fundamental change that is not what anybody signed up for. At least not us.

I get that sync is expensive and they want to save money, but fundamentally yanking it without warning is not okay. It will not play out well, I predict, because a lot of their paying Business customers will jump ship. I see that they already barred one door by not offering a refund if you downgrade but paid yearly. Interesting timing that this change came a week or two after we paid for a yearly upgrade, which they will not refund (not without class action, anyway).

Check out sync.com, who will be experiencing quite a growth spurt soon. Let's just hope they don't do similarly stupid things.

Need more support?