cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New named Dropbox structure

New named Dropbox structure

t4ngml
Helpful | Level 6

I am a user of DropBox Business, on Windows 10.

Last week, I suddenly realized that the shortcuts to some of my Dropbox folders were broken.

A quick look learned me that the structure had changed.

While I used to access my folder through:

C:/User/{username}/Dropbox (COMPANY NAME)/, I can now find them at:
C:/User/{username}/{COMPANY NAME} Dropbox/MyFirstName LASTNAME/

Now, both structures seem to remain while the first one is now a hidden shortcut (although I can't seem to see where it links to).

So that I don't really know where my files actually are.

Is this change documented anywhere?

Thanks

After a couple of days, I realized this happened to all of this Dropbox Business users across the company, Mac and Windows, and that it messes up with backup strategies.

I didn't find anything about this new structure in DropBox's changelog.

147 Replies 147

brownashley100
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, everyone in some form or other. 

The initial dropbox file hierarchy is all over the place. 

This morning I formatted my hard drive and start the sync process from scratch with a fresh install. This has solved the issue for me.

I was in a fortunate position to know which files to remove and back up elsewhere prior to the wipe. Others will find difficulty in this, so might experience data loss if we take this approach as not everything is uploaded.

SPadiyath
New member | Level 2

iam trying to use export command in RootsMagic 7 in windows 10. When ever use the command "save to dropbox for Apps"

I get the fvollowing error. I have upgraded firefox. Still I get the following error. This is something to do with dropbox I think.

Upgrade your browser to use Dropbox

Your current browser is not supported. We support the latest versions of the following browsers:

New member | Level 2

It appears Dropbox does not want to solve this. Just installed on a new machine and the root name folder is now different from years ago.

Dropbox (<business name>)

<business name> Dropbox

We have many scripts that are based on the original folder path and now it is broken, this means migrating the whole team is now on hold until all scripts are fixed and even when preparing their new machine can't be rollout, it needs to be tested it all works.

Why the personal Dropbox account is sllowed to change and the business not? I would say, the businesss acount is generating more revenue so such capability is easy to implement, just copy the code from the personal dropbox code.

New member | Level 2

So with this new 2022 version, apparently in the root business folder, a new user folder is created.

Trying to delete this is impossible, it keeps syncing back.

Even to deselect the folder in the sync settings is not possible.

It is pretty useless folder, because I know what my username is, and the files that I want to sync will not be shared anyhow with the team and they need to be organized in a better strucutre that my user name.

Please have the possibility to remove or deselect the folder for sync of the user name

cheersounds
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

It appears my root folder is no longer "/", but is now a system-created folder called "/CheerSounds/" (or in other words, "/<username>/"), and that now appears as the root of all connected client apps.  I can't make sense of it, but it has created some big issues for our workplace.

Our log shows that a series of policy changes and folder changes occurred at 02:06 est on 11/26 which have interrupted our business operations in the most severe way. The logs show that the changes were made by user unknown and location unknown.

On our account, username "CheerSounds", it seems that the contents of our root folder "/" has been relocated to "/CheerSounds/" . We are unsure of how this folder was created; there is no log of it ever happening. It's permissions are set to "Only Me".  More interesting, our connected dropbox client apps (mac, windows, linux) can not see the actual contents of "/" any longer, instead they only show the contents of "/CheerSounds/" as if that was the root!  Was a system-wide change made to tell client-connected devices that the root is actually "/<user-name>/" ?

Also concerning, our largest and most important folder "/CheerSounds v2/" now exists in both the actual root "/CheerSounds v2/" and in the new folder  "/CheerSounds/CheerSounds v2/". It appears the moving/copying of this folder failed and left only a partial copy in "/CheerSounds/CheerSounds v2/".  Our client systems have all automatically synchronized to "/CheerSounds/CheerSounds v2/" , leading them to believe that the failed copy is actually the removal of hundreds of thousands of files, which all of our client computers have now aligned to. This resulted in the removal of hundreds of thousands of files from all client devices. The client devices indicate they are "up to date". 

My question is: was a change made to create a virtual root for client devices?

I cannot explain or understand why the "/<username>/" folder was created by "unknown user" from "unknown location" or why all of my files have been moved into it, or why that new path appears as the root folder for all of my dropbox connect clients.

As far as why the file copy may have failed: We have incredibly long filenames on some of our media, often being exactly the limit of 256 characters of a file path. My guess ... is that Dropbox intended to move the old root "/" into "/CheerSounds/" which would now (somehow) the be root for dropbox client applications...but the file copy of "/CheerSounds v2/" failed due to some of the file paths within that folder being 256 characters long with no room to spare for the new, longer path of "/CheerSounds/CheerSounds v2/........"

Regardless of what happened, our entire office of multimedia projects is left in a compromised stated which I must resolve Asap! Any and all insight is appreciated  so that I may remedy this and not impact the entire office for long.

Thanks,
Carmine Silano
CheerSounds Music

cheersounds
Explorer | Level 3

UPDATE: this is apparently a byproduct of the new Team update that was pushed out.  The root was relocated into a user folder; the root of that folder is now served to clients as the "root" (a virtual root).  The copy of my v2 folder failed for reasons unknown at this time (I believe it to be file path lengths that were hitting the 256char limit, but that is still to be explicitly tested). 

Thanks.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @cheersounds, thanks for taking the time to post in our Community! 

I merged your post under this thread, where others have also posted in regards to what you mentioned.

Feel free to have a look at Walter's response right here, and let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Wide Open Co
New member | Level 2

Hi Krutsch,

Wondered how the switch to Google Drive went? I'm so freaking out about this Dropbox 'upgrade' and have so far managed to postpone it. I've haven't found any positive talk on forums, so have been looking into how the file sync works with google drive and also the pathways, as I have HTML links for email signatures etc that I will need to rework after the upgrade or move. So painful, I dread to think how much down time it will cause. I'm no tech head, and too small a design studio to employ one.

Cheers, Meghan

Rinconman
Helpful | Level 6

Did Dropbox stop pushing this change?  I did not want it and kept deferring. Then in my admin had a message we will let you know when we are ready to upgrade you.  Now that is totally gone.

I just want to make sure I do not wake up one morning and the change happened.

Bellmark
New member | Level 2

Same here, we kept deferring until we just gave up, but then shortly before the target date, we were postponed due to high demand.  And..... have heard nothing back since.  Which is good.  This was an all around bad idea and I have absolutely no idea what bonehead thought it would be good to do a "free upgrade" that messed with the file hierarchy and throw a good number of paying businesses into chaos.  I sincerely hope they have given up on this and realized just how stupid it was.  I'm hoping someone got fired, and now those that are left are trying to figure out the next corrective move.  That said, it would be nice if you could give paying customers a bit more insight into WTF is going on and more visibility into future development plans.  This isn't a a consumer service we're paying for, we have an entire business relying on it, and there is a very significant amount of lost revenue and wasted resources that occur if something stupid like this is pulled.  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rinconman Helpful | Level 6
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    mpraymond511 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    ckq_bally New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?