cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Old project team files outside of my control

Old project team files outside of my control

bcbroadband
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello, I am having some sync issues and unable to update Dropbox until resolved.  I see red x's by three old file folders for team projects for which I was provided access, but do not control.  These folders are now locked.  How do I remove myself from these folders?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ArkBill
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After a long chat with Apple support, I was finally able to delete the folder causing this problem. I was using Time Machine to back up my Mac.  Time Machine was set to backup my Dropbox files (I have no idea why I set it up that way).  When I set Time Machine to not back up my Dropbox files, ran a backup so it was no longer there, I was able to delete the locked files from an outside sharer.  

‘I don’t have paid for Apple Support.  I did a chat through Facebook Messenger without them charging me.  I’m relieved to have this over!

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @bcbroadband, sorry to hear about this.

Could you send us a screenshot of how those folders look on your end and another one when trying to delete them or remove your access from them so that we can have a visual too?

This will help us assist further. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

bcbroadband
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 3.13.17 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 3.13.43 PM.png

bcbroadband
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I do not see these folders when I go to the web site and log in there.  Only in my MAC finder list.

ArkBill
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have dropbox loaded on my iPad, my old mac (10 years old) and my "new" mac (3 years old).  I'm trying to sync the Dropbox app on the new computer.  It has a locked folder that was shared with me that I can't unlock and Dropbox can't sync.  I deleted the folder in my online Dropbox account, it doesn't show up on the old computer, the iPad, or the Dropbox web access.  But, the app on the new computer still shows the folder and it's locked and I don't have permission to unlock or delete it.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Dropbox app, but it's still there.  How do I get rid of the deleted folder?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @bcbroadband, thanks for the screenshots! 

When you visit your account online, and try to follow these steps, do you get any errors?

Also, what is the syncing status of the app at the moment?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @ArkBill, let's jump right into this! 

I merged your post under this thread, since the OP had expressed the same inquiry, and I want to keep everything at the same place.

Feel free to have a look at what was previously suggested, and all the troubleshooting steps mentioned, and let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ArkBill
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Megan,

Thanks for the quick reply.  When I log in to Dropbox.com, the folder is not in my account.  It only shows up in the app on the new computer (I deleted it from the old computer when the new computer wouldn’t let me).  Note the old computer and new computer use different Apple ID’s.  Does that matter?

Thanks for your help!

bcbroadband
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This is my issue as well.

The key question for me is how do I remove myself from accessing old locked files to which I have been granted access but are owned by someone else.  In one case, the project manager is long-retired.  In one case, I am not even sure who owns the folder which is empty.

bcbroadband
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My dropbox app is stuck syncing 64 files totaling 49 MB.  I disabled the extensions.  No change.

Need more support?