cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox for Mac won't sync due to a locked folder

Old project team files outside of my control

bcbroadband
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello, I am having some sync issues and unable to update Dropbox until resolved.  I see red x's by three old file folders for team projects for which I was provided access, but do not control.  These folders are now locked.  How do I remove myself from these folders?

24 Replies 24

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @ArkBill, could you take a look at this thread, and what was suggested there, and let me know if this helps at all? 

Hi @bcbroadband, are you part of a team? Could you check your subscription, and let me know? Also, do you refer to team or shared folders? 

Did you try the steps I provided to @ArkBill above? 

As for the app, could you hover over your little Dropbox icon, next to your WiFi icon, and let me know the app's version you're currently using? 

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ArkBill
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Megan,

I've tried about every trick I've read about.  The file that is not syncing is only showing up in the Dropbox App on the new computer.  It doesn't show up on Dropbox.com and doesn't show up on Dropbox App on the old computer (where I deleted the file).  Here's a screenshot that shows what I have done.  I tried several different ways to get the spaces in the file name to stay together - single quotes, double quotes.

ArkBill

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 5.42.12 PM.png

bcbroadband
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I did try those steps.  version 165.4.4300

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @bcbroadband, since this is related to Terminal commands on Mac OS, I'd recommend reading up for the method on how to encompass an entire folderpath for the system to recognize with path you're trying to access.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

bcbroadband
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am sorry that I don't understand a word of this.  The right approach might be for me to move all of my stuff to the Apple cloud.

ArkBill
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've tried every suggestion above and Dropbox seems to think it's an Apple problem that they designed an app that won't update on my mac.  So, my takeaway from this is that I can't update the Dropbox app on my Mac, so I just have to live with the old app and the constant error messages?  I expected more from Dropbox!  @Megan Is that the answer?

NMR1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same exact problem: I deleted the shared/restricted folder online, but it won't delete on my computer. Now I can't upgrade Dropbox because it perpetually trying to sync this folder and not being able to. I would hope that Dropbox would find a solution rather than sending Mac users to Terminal to learn and type code.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @NMR1, sorry to see you're having this issue.

Are you currently in a team account or an individual one?

And how did you delete the files online, can you describe the steps you followed, please?

Lastly, what's the sync status of the Dropbox app at the moment?

You can hover over the Dropbox icon to see this info.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

bcbroadband
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Does not seem to be a solution.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @bcbroadband, after reading through your issue, it looks like the folders might be locked by a non-Dropbox application instead.

If a file is read-only or is locked by a non-Dropbox application, you can’t sync it to Dropbox.

You can check the folder info, to see if the folder is locked and you can take a look at this page, to see how you can unlock it.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?