cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old project team files outside of my control

Old project team files outside of my control

bcbroadband
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello, I am having some sync issues and unable to update Dropbox until resolved.  I see red x's by three old file folders for team projects for which I was provided access, but do not control.  These folders are now locked.  How do I remove myself from these folders?

24 Replies 24

bcbroadband
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The core issue is that I have read only access to these files within folders.  They are locked but by someone else.  How can I tell Dropbox on my MAC that I do not want this access anymore?  These files are five years old or more.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @bcbroadband, are you able to move the folder out of the Dropbox folder entirely?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

NMR1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,

To answer your questions:

I am currently an individual user.

I went online and simply selected the folder and chose the option to delete it. The folder then disappeared from the screen as if it was gone. But when I went to my laptop I found it was still there. 

The sync status of the Dropbox app was "syncing". But this morning it said that there were issues with files and there was a prompt to View Issues. I clicked on View Issues. It then opened a window "Sync issues" and at the top it said "Personal" and underneath the word "12 issues" then it listed each of 11 files and the folder. Each one said "Couldn't download. In the file info, unselect the Locked checkbox."

I went to each of the info of each of the files and the folder and all of them had the checked "Locked" text grayed out, so I couldn't uncheck the box. Which means I am stuck. The folder is owned by a collaborator from years ago who has since moved on and I have no way of contacting him. 

Any advice?

ArkBill
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After a long chat with Apple support, I was finally able to delete the folder causing this problem. I was using Time Machine to back up my Mac.  Time Machine was set to backup my Dropbox files (I have no idea why I set it up that way).  When I set Time Machine to not back up my Dropbox files, ran a backup so it was no longer there, I was able to delete the locked files from an outside sharer.  

‘I don’t have paid for Apple Support.  I did a chat through Facebook Messenger without them charging me.  I’m relieved to have this over!

bcbroadband
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks.  That might be my problem!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bcbroadband Helpful | Level 5
    ArkBill Helpful | Level 6
    NMR1 Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?