cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Restoring files deleted over 30 days ago

Restoring files deleted over 30 days ago

jhabe002
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, I need serious help for something that would be so much easier to discuss over the phone (but I don't have a Business account).

Backstory: I had to move a bunch of files off of my Dropbox since my account was being downgraded after a certain trial period provided by my university. Those files were transferred to an external hard drive. This hard drive, however, which contained all of my documents from the past 15 years, was lost during a recent move to a new job out of state.

I am seriously in mourning over this loss--all the photos of my children, my dissertation research, my professional work and unpublished manuscripts, and other priceless files. I don't say this to garner any sympathy--my emotions are just so raw right now. Is there anyway that my total files from May 2022 (3 months ago) can be restored? While Dropbox did not have everything that I was saving, I am willing to pay for the highest priced plan to recover these. Restoring those deleted files will be a small consolation for my loss.

I am very embarrassed to even be writing this in an online forum. I'm not sure if there any Dropbox staff is out there listening that can escalate my case, or if anyone else out there can help me.

I appreciate any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jhabe002 wrote:

Is there anyway that my total files from May 2022 (3 months ago) can be restored?

Unfortunately, files deleted more than 30 days ago cannot be recovered. Even if you paid for an upgraded plan, the extra recovery time would only apply to files deleted after the upgrade. There's just no way to recover files beyond your recovery period.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jhabe002 wrote:

Is there anyway that my total files from May 2022 (3 months ago) can be restored?

Unfortunately, files deleted more than 30 days ago cannot be recovered. Even if you paid for an upgraded plan, the extra recovery time would only apply to files deleted after the upgrade. There's just no way to recover files beyond your recovery period.

Tod1907
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sorry for your loss. I restored a file and thought I had until today to restore; I've been very busy with a new job and just checked to find I've lost a file of 2000 photos from a holiday of a lifetime. Unless the system automatically deletes (& even then there is always a recovery system) surely there is or should be a recovery service, regardless of cost?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox does not automatically delete files I'm afraid @Tod1907 and no, there is no recovery either - you have to remember Dropbox is storing billions of files and the cost and storage needed to keep extra would be astronomical. They'd also be on dodgy legal grounds if they said data is permanently deleted and then it wasnt.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

maevan3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm guessing data recovery software would be able to restore your files if you still have the drive(s) the files were on. For such a serious loss it's worth a try. Good luck!!

kathkath
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I did not delete any files but my dropbox was cleared. I contacted the support but failed many times to help me. dropbox sucks😭😭😭

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@kathkath wrote:

I did not delete any files but my dropbox was cleared. I contacted the support but failed many times to help me.

Dropbox doesn't (and can't) clear your files like that. Look at your Events page for any deletion events to get an idea of what might have happened. Restore one of the files and look at its version history to see where the deletion occurred.

Zmajel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i have a file which was deleted quite along time

is there a way to recover this file?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

No, sorry.

If it was over 30 days and you were at the time a free user that file is not recoverable.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

henklepz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is it possible to restore files that were deleted more than 30 days ago? 

Need more support?