cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop syncing a drive but keep the files in Dropbox

Stop syncing a drive but keep the files in Dropbox

DioNik
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

I backup my D:\ drive in Dropbox (a 1tb ssd, only for media) but as it is full now, I want to delete most of the files, but keep them in my Dropbox account. Is there a way to stop syncing this particular drive, keep it hooked up to my pc, and retain the files in the Dropbox account?

Just to be clear, the Dropbox folder is on my other drive (C:\ ) and in Dropbox the backup of D:\ appeas as an external "New Volume"

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to jump in, @DioNik, how are you today?

I'm afraid that if the drive remains plugged in and the backup feature is still enabled, the drive will keep syncing.

Alternatively, you could copy the files into your Dropbox folder, allow them to sync and then remove them with selective sync, like Walter suggested.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @DioNik, welcome to the Community and happy Monday!

Can you please clarify how exactly are you backing up this drive to your Dropbox account?

Are you, for instance, using the Dropbox Backup feature or you've copied or moved your drive to Dropbox and have it syncing through the desktop app from within your Dropbox folder? Do you see in your account's homepage or on this page perhaps?

Apart from that, do you happen to be familiar with our selective sync feature?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

DioNik
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Walter, I used the Dropox backup prompt that appear when I attached teh drive for the first time. I guess that selective sync could be an option, but I do not want to keep syncing this particular drive.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to jump in, @DioNik, how are you today?

I'm afraid that if the drive remains plugged in and the backup feature is still enabled, the drive will keep syncing.

Alternatively, you could copy the files into your Dropbox folder, allow them to sync and then remove them with selective sync, like Walter suggested.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DioNik
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes that may be a good solution. Thanks! It will take some time, but it will do it.

MikeInFL
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Question.  What would happen in this case if user changes the D drive to a different drive letter?  Say to F ?

Would dropbox backup detect that the D was changed to F and still sync/backup the files on it?  Or would it act as if D was simply not connected?

If it acts as if D is not connected then the files are still on Dropbox backup, and the user can then delete the files on the F (which was D)?  Later if the user wants access to the backup files they would need to rename the F back to D, or add a new drive D.   Is this correct?  

hynekel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Copying 82GB of files onto a laptop to stop Dropbox syncing them is a little silly. There must/should be a better way to turn on/off sync of specific folders once they start syncing. If not, please develop. Its needed. Thanks!

hynekel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

FOUND IT!!!

Here's how to Stop syncing to PC:

Choose which folders to store on your hard drive

Note: You must install the Dropbox desktop application to use selective sync. 

To choose which Dropbox folders to store on or remove from your computer’s hard drive:

1. Open your Dropbox desktop app preferences.
  2. Click the Sync tab.
  3. Under Selective Sync, click Choose folders (Mac) or Selective Sync… (Windows).
  4. Check the folders you’d like saved on your hard drive. Uncheck the folders you’d like removed.
  5. Click Update.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

hynekel New member | Level 2
    MikeInFL New member | Level 2
    DioNik Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?