cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing vs. storage

Syncing vs. storage

mthorne
Explorer | Level 3

Does Dropbox work like OneDrive where any changes made to a document are immediately changed to the document in the cloud? If so, if that document is accidentally deleted, does it also get deleted from the cloud? Secondly, can Dropbox also be used as a basic backup tool where you simply store files?

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox works very similar to OneDrive, yes. However, it only syncs files and folders inside of its own directory. So putting a file somewhere with a copy in Dropbox and updating it in the original location wont change Dropbox's - nor the cloud one. You can recover files deleted for 30 days in a free account or 180 when paid. 

There are also backup features available with Dropbox which you can see https://help.dropbox.com/backup

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

mthorne
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you! So, if I work on a file while it is in a Dropbox folder, then it is changed in the cloud, but if I work on a file outside of the Dropbox folder and want it saved in the cloud I would need to copy it into the Dropbox folder?

Mark
Super User II

Thats it spot on 🙂 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

mthorne
Explorer | Level 3

Great, thank you!  I'm having issues with OneDrive and looking for an alternative.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mthorne Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?