cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you know more about files sizes, you can make more informed decisions about which files you upload and then you can maximize the space in your Dropbox Basic account?

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to share dropbox plus files on desktop computer

Unable to share dropbox plus files on desktop computer

iou jih Hung wu
Explorer | Level 4

I want to know What happens to the files in the Dropbox basic existing on the desktop computer, if I delete it ?so that I  could share the Dropbox plus  files from my other device?

8 Replies 8

Re: Unable to share dropbox plus files on desktop computer

Rich
Super User II

@iou jih Hung wu wrote:

I want to know What happens to the files in the Dropbox basic existing on the desktop computer, if I delete it ?so that I  could share the Dropbox plus  files from my other device?

If you delete the local Dropbox folder, your files will be deleted along with it. If you want to change accounts on the computer, first create a shared folder between the two accounts (Basic and Plus), then move your files into the share and wait for them to finish syncing. Once that's done, you can sign out of the Basic account and sign in to the Plus account. You might want to rename the local Dropbox folder after you sign out of the Basic account, and before signing back in with the Plus account.

iou jih Hung wu
Explorer | Level 4

Can I move the account “dropbox plus “ established on the cellphone to the desktop computer , meanwhile save the files in the “dropbox basic “ account that is now existing on the computer but is almost full? And how?

Nancy
Dropboxer

Hey @iou jih Hung wu!

As a first step, can you let me know if the local Dropbox folder on your computer contains all of the files saved on your Basic plan? 

Are there files that you can only see on https://www.dropbox.com/home, when logging in to your Basic account (not your Plus one)?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

iou jih Hung wu
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the help.

I have yes to your two questions.

1, The local Dropbox folder on my computer contains all of the files saved on my  Basic plan.

2.These files that I can only see on https://www.dropbox.com/home, when logging in to my Basic account (not my Plus one)?

I think you are very practical, and know and understand my questions.  I need to get further advice and suggestions from you.

Thank you.

iou jih Hung wu
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you, I will try.

Megan
Dropboxer

Hey @iou jih Hung wu, happy Friday! 

It's important to ask: do you use two Dropbox accounts, or did you simply upgrade your Basic to a Plus plan? 

If you have two accounts, then in order for you to connect your Plus account on the desktop app, you'd need to first sign out of the app. 

The sign in, using the credentials of the upgraded account. That should do the trick, and your files should begin uploading. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

iou jih Hung wu
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for reply and help. Dropboxer Megan,

I use two accounts. The first account is on desktop computer , dropbox basic and is almost full. This account is under my husband’s name. 
The 2nd account is under my name.  I opened the account dropbox plus on cellphone. I wish to transfer it to or make it possible to share on desktop computer, while keep the files in the Dropbox basic intact.

Sorry about this complicated issue.

Nancy
Dropboxer

Hey again, @iou jih Hung wu; thanks for the extra details!

In this case, I can suggest the following steps: 

1. Pause syncing on the desktop app (the one that’s currently synced to your husband’s Basic account). 
  2. After that, you can follow the steps shown here, in order to unlink your app from his account. 
  3. The local Dropbox folder with the Basic files should remain on your device (in this case, I’d also suggest renaming it to something else before re-connecting the app to your own account). 
  4. Then, please log in again to the Dropbox app with your account’s credentials and complete the sign-in steps. 
  5. At the end of the process, a new Dropbox folder should be created and it should sync the files of your Plus account. 

The old Dropbox folder should remain intact on your computer, but it will no longer sync to your husband’s Basic web account. 

Let me know though if you need any further clarifications.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropboxer
    iou jih Hung wu Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?