cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you know more about files sizes, you can make more informed decisions about which files you upload and then you can maximize the space in your Dropbox Basic account?

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Updating PDFs

Updating PDFs in multiple folders at the same time

CalebStraley
New member | Level 2

I work with CAD files and I am trying to move our CAD department to paperless. We use a separate filing system that's specific for managing CAD files but we cant share files from that system. I want to start saving PDFs of our assemblies from our PDM system into dropbox folders, I will then create a QR code that links to each of our assemblies. However many of our assemblies use shared sub-assemblies. So one sub-assembly might be used in 10 different buildbooks. Is there a way if a change needs to be made to a PDF that is used in multiple folders that we can update all instances of said PDF at the same time?

My first thought was to have a sub-assemblies folder with all of our sub-assembly PDFs then save shortcuts in all the main assemblies folders that way if we overwrite the original sub-assembly PDF the shortcuts would point to the new one. The issue with this is phones and tablets cant use the shortcuts which is an issue.

Is there a way to make this work? To update a PDF that is used in many folders all at the same time? Otherwise we have to search for all the duplicate files which is manageable but leaves more room for error (not replacing old prints was an issue awhile back for us).

Thank you for any advice!

1 Reply 1

Re: Updating PDFs

Rich
Super User II

@CalebStraley wrote:

Is there a way if a change needs to be made to a PDF that is used in multiple folders that we can update all instances of said PDF at the same time?

Dropbox has no such feature. You would need to manually update each copy of the PDF file, or find some other process that can do it for you.

Need more support?