cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Version History of a File

Version History of a File

R S12
Explorer | Level 4

I am a Basic tier user.

Dropbox tells me:

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 1.04.57 PM.png

Instructions for this are as follows:

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 1.05.34 PM.png

When I follow the instructions, this is what I get:

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 1.06.00 PM.png

Note, there is no "version history".

Clicking on "rewind" gets me info on this feature (nothing about version history).

Please advise.

R.

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@R S12 wrote:

Note, there is no "version history". 

Wrong ellipsis. You're clicking the one at the top of the screen. You need to click the one to the right of the file.

0fd4096132ebac31f157ce2f3db27b70.png

R S12
Explorer | Level 4

Update:

Folders do not have a version history but files do. This is not documented anywhere on the site.

Further Update (edited): I have corrected and clarified re: version history and restore on files and folders below.

R.

Mark
Super User II

The help documents do state that it is version history on files and not folders. 

It is possible to rewind folders, but, that is based upon mass events happening.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

R S12
Explorer | Level 4

"The help documents do state that it is version history on files and not folders. "

This is incorrect. And actually the muddled nature of the documentation is reflected in your statement here.

To be clear:

Dropbox states that "previous version of files and folders" are available to Dropbox basic users for 30 days:

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 2.30.27 PM.png

(This is incorrect.)

The link in the screen capture above provides information about how how recover files (not folders) - in spite of the fact that the word "folders" is linked.

(This is misleading.)

Further:

- files can be recovered ("restored" per the instructions of the above link)

- folders offer a version history, meaning that change activity can be viewed, but older versions can not be recovered (or "rewind"-ed or "restored") by Dropbox basic users; thus, there is "version history" on folders. (You stated the opposite).

R.

Need more support?