cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lost files all computer document

lost files all computer document

LuciaZ
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I uninstalled dropbox then a couple of months later tried to delete the dropbox folder on my computer.

All the files within were deleted not the folder and I didn't realise that this folder contained desktop, documents and downloads.

All gone. And because I had uninstalled dropbox nothing had synced so now all my data is gone.

Not in recycle bin.

Any thoughts how to get it back.

Not sure if dropbox or windows problem

Third Party recovery software only finds data up to the time I installed dropbox.

So I have lost 2 months of work

Any help would be greatly appreciated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@LuciaZ wrote:

All the files within were deleted not the folder and I didn't realise that this folder contained desktop, documents and downloads. ... Not sure if dropbox or windows problem

Unfortunately, it's not actually a problem. I mean, yes, losing your data is a problem, but there was no fault here by Windows or Dropbox.

You deleted the folder containing your Desktop, Documents and Downloads, so those folders would be deleted as well. They were likely in your Dropbox folder because you had the Backup feature enabled on your account, and you didn't disable it prior to uninstalling Dropbox. Unfortunately, there's nothing that Dropbox can do to recover those files. If your account is still active you'll likely have the files backed up as they were a couple of months ago, but that's it.

As for the files not being in your Recycle Bin, that can happen when the data you're deleting is too large for the Recycle Bin. In such a case, Windows prompts you that the data is too large and that it will bypass the Recycle Bin and be deleted permanently.

Normally I would suggest file recovery software but it seems you've already tried that. At this point there's likely nothing that can be done.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@LuciaZ wrote:

All the files within were deleted not the folder and I didn't realise that this folder contained desktop, documents and downloads. ... Not sure if dropbox or windows problem

Unfortunately, it's not actually a problem. I mean, yes, losing your data is a problem, but there was no fault here by Windows or Dropbox.

You deleted the folder containing your Desktop, Documents and Downloads, so those folders would be deleted as well. They were likely in your Dropbox folder because you had the Backup feature enabled on your account, and you didn't disable it prior to uninstalling Dropbox. Unfortunately, there's nothing that Dropbox can do to recover those files. If your account is still active you'll likely have the files backed up as they were a couple of months ago, but that's it.

As for the files not being in your Recycle Bin, that can happen when the data you're deleting is too large for the Recycle Bin. In such a case, Windows prompts you that the data is too large and that it will bypass the Recycle Bin and be deleted permanently.

Normally I would suggest file recovery software but it seems you've already tried that. At this point there's likely nothing that can be done.

LuciaZ
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thanks for replying Rich
I've come to the same conclusion now
Although I do not remember the windows delete prompt
It is what it is and lessons have been learnt.
Thanks again for your response
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LuciaZ Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?