Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beta Build 19.3.10

8 Comments
12 Kudos
Highlighted
Dropboxer

Beta Build 19.3.10

Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

Download

Windows Standard Installer Offline Installer
Mac OS X Standard Installer Offline Installer
Linux x86_64 Offline Installer x86 OfflineInstaller

Auto-updates: Everyone who chose "Include me on early releases" on the Settings page

8 Replies
Level 2

Betreff: Beta Build 19.3.10

Would be great to know WHAT's new at "improvements and fixes".

Level 2

Re: Beta Build 19.3.10

Is THIS why the notifications suddenly changed? It went from Win7 standard to Win10-style, except terrible. I had run Windows Update around the same time, so I couldn't tell where the change came from.

Very small screen on this laptop, and Win7 notifications are appropriately small. Dropbox notifications now take up about a quarter of the screen. They don't respect the size of the screen.

Also Win10 notifications occur in the designated notification area. *These* on the other hand, pop up on my secondary monitor, slide to the primary monitor, then back to the secondary monitor to disappear. I understand the look you're going for, but that area off to the side of the desktop isn't invisible to everyone. I'm using that area. It looks very silly.

Also also it seems to be sending multiple notifications every time a file changes. Like 3 or 4 notifications each time. Did it do this before and I just didn't notice because the old notifications were unobtrusive?

I have a log file that updates every 10 minutes, so this kind of makes Dropbox unusable on this computer. I'm *certain* it looks great on computers with one big monitor, but that's not what I'm working on.
Dropboxer

One of the notable changes you may want to take a closer look at is a different approach to upload buffering, which SHOULD improve upload speeds.

This is especially important for "high BDP"(Bandwidth*Delay Product) countries, like Australia, New Zealand, Brazil and users with high internet speeds( >= 50Mbit/s).

But since TCP behaviour is inherently OS-specific and it's almost impossible to test it for all Operating System's builds, if you see any noticable degradation in upload speed after an upgrade to the Beta version(v19.3), please feel free to report it by replying to this message. It would be nice(though not mandatory) if you provide details such as your Country/OS.

Level 5

How were we meant to know there was a change in upload buffering?

I find it cynically amusing that several months after *many* users said there was no point testing beta builds if you won't tell us what has changed ..... the beta forums are now virtually dead and you have lost all of your feedback and goodwill.

I used to test beta builds but I don't see the point of trying something if I have no clue what has changed.
Dropboxer

Totally good point, let me try bringing it up internally, let's see what we can do here.

Level 3

Howdy,

The Off-Line Installer for macOS/OS X does nothing (at least under Sierra). The version that downloads and installs works correctly. This has been true for quite a while.

Good Luck,

herbs

Hey Herbert,

What specifically do you mean by it does nothing?

Drag and drop it to where you want it and then launch it. That works every time.

-Chris
Level 3

When I double click it it launches and immediately quits doing nothing. Again, the installer that downloads and installs works properly.