Wanna become a Super User? Learn more about it here

Beta Build 3.19.35

10 Comments
19 Kudos
Highlighted
Dropboxer
May

Beta Build 3.19.35

Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

Download

Windows      [Standard Installer] [Offline Installer]
     Mac OS X   [Standard Installer] [Offline Installer]
     Linux   [x86_64 Offline Installer] [x86 Offline Installer]

Auto-updates: Everyone who chose “Include me on early releases” on the Settings page.

10 Replies
Level 7
May

Re: Beta Build 3.19.35

"We don't want you to install it, so we're not giving anything in the release notes that would indicate why you might want to run this build"

Level 1
May

problems still here, on Windows10 x64:

1) registry shell extension spam is still going on with each self-update
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qi0ubsk6fgp7f2p/3_19_35_registry_spam.png

2) the tooltip that used to appear on mouseover over the tray icon is no longer appearing - the only way to see the version now is to get into the preferences menu.

3) the updater service remains running ALL THE TIME even if there's nothing to update.. why do you have tasks registered in task scheduler AND an updater service running all the time with SYSTEM account privileges? If it's just an updater it should stop executing once it has checked the version. Looks to me that the service is used as a real-time remote control + system backdoor instead of a proper updater service.

Super User
May

Auto-updates: Everyone who chose “Include me on early releases” on the Settings page.

And apparently those already running a Beta because mine was updated even though I unchecked the early releases option in Settings.

2) the tooltip that used to appear on mouseover over the tray icon is no longer appearing - the only way to see the version now is to get into the preferences menu.

Yes, I see the same issue, though it's been intermittent for me. I actually thought it was a local issue, unrelated to Dropbox.

Level 1
May

So, the internal discussions on fixing the release notes - no news on that yet?

In terms of linux support:

1. The tray icon still doesn't show up without the dbus-launch trick.
  2. The tray icon is stillusing the legacy xembed protocol. As a Qt app, this is just plain ridiculous
  3. The "Start Dropbox on System Startup" still does absolutely nothing. It might do something more if the nautilus integration is installed, which I don't have - and shouldn't need. Really, how ridiculously simple is it to write a .desktop file into ~/.config/autostart ?

The sad thing is, these bugs have existed for almost 2 years now. I know that it's easy to say, "it's an easy fix", and I'm willing to give space. But really?!?! And number 3 really is an easy fix! What's worse, Dropbox doesn't seem to care about fixing these issues. When I contacted support a while back (Pro customer, so guaranteed a response!), my ticket was repeatedly simply closed.

I really enjoy using Dropbox, and have been a strong proponent for it. But am getting more and more jaded at their constantly introducing new features/products without fixing the basic system first! (Especially when most of their "new features" are exclusives for people using Office, or windows, or mac.)

Level 2
May

I never had any problem with the Experimental and Beta builds. They work as stable as the Stable builds.

Auto-update is also working fine. And my OS X is even always in the latest beta too.

Might be Windows only problems.

Edit: And I see the version number and it's saying up to date when I place the mouse curser on the tray icon. 

Dropboxer
May

Rich R,

You're correct, there are actually two different ways to end up being autoupdated. The one you experienced is less common and isn't mentioned in the autoupdate section for simplicity reasons; I'll figure out a concise way to state this in future build posts.

The two conditions that result in being autoupdated to a beta build are:

1. Everyone who chose “Include me on early releases” on the Settings page. When this option is checked it autoupdates all of the clients linked to that user account to the latest available beta build and they continue to be autoupdated to beta builds going forward.
  2. Otherwise, if a beta client is installed and there is a later beta in the same beta build series available, the beta client will be automatically autoupdated to that beta build. If a beta client is installed and there is a later stable build available, it will autoupdate to that stable build. A concrete example of this is if a 3.19.34 beta desktop client was installed it will have autoupdated to 3.19.35 and then in the future it'll autoupdate to a 3.20.0 stable build and from then on it'll be autoupdated to just stable builds. So an installed beta build will be autoupdated to the next available stable build as soon as possible and in the meantime continue to receive the beta updates. Clients aren't automatically downgraded to stable (although people can do so manually be installing the current stable build on top of the beta build) because it's not a very good experience: for example the local databases used for syncing need to be completely rebuilt which uses up a lot of CPU and disk I/O.

Level 1
May

New version is very good!!!

Level 1
May

ugh... screenshot upload and copy link has been broken for weeks now on osx and it still doesn't work even in this ver.

May

I really feel the same way as what Nicholas O. has mentioned. They have been having these linux issues for the past couple of years and no sign of timeline on when it would be fixed. For a service like dropbox its really important to provide the compatibility for atleast the major desktop environments in Linux which is like 5 of them. 

Come on guys you cant figure out how to fix the KDE systray icon issue for 2 years ?.