Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beta Build 5.3.18

24 Comments
16 Kudos
Highlighted
Dropboxer

Beta Build 5.3.18

Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

Download

Windows      [Standard Installer] [Offline Installer]
     Mac OS X   [Standard Installer] [Offline Installer]
     Linux   [x86_64 Offline Installer] [x86 Offline Installer]

Auto-updates: Everyone who chose “Include me on early releases” on the Settings page.

24 Replies
Level 8

Re: Beta Build 5.3.18

release notes?

Level 1

How did the promised internal discussion on release notes go? If you've decided you just don't care about your beta users' opinions, and are waiting for us to shut up, please let us know.

Also, are *any* of the linux bugs fixed in this beta?

Level 1

And away we go with the version inflation. Thanks, Google, for the idea.

Level 1

The OS X disk image appears to be corrupt!

Level 1

My MacBook Pro running the newest build of El Capitan (10.11.5) just updated to 5.3.18 and I noticed an, immediate, bug.  There is some process in this build that is forcing the discrete GPU (I use gfxCardStatus to monitor GPU activity).  I want menubar apps like Dropbox, that I run 24/7, to use, only the, less battery consuming, integrated GPU.

The biggest surprise to me is that I was running 5.3.18...a beta build. I thought I had only been running stable builds on my system (not sure how that happened).  I installed stable build 4.4.29, instead, and the GPU problem went away.  It is running, happily, on integrated.

Nonetheless, I thought I should bring attention to the issue, anyway.

Dropboxer

Nicholas O: I have no updates on release notes. As for Linux UI compatibility, you can see a list of supported Desktop Environments at the bottom of the page here: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/3 Unfortunately, KDE is not currently supported.

The•S1R: The Standard Installer link on OSX was broken. It should be fixed now. Please try again!

Gregory K: Thanks for the report. We'll investigate!

Level 1

Arghh!!!  It's back on the discrete GPU.  Dropbox autoupdated from 4.4.29 to 5.3.18.  Why is it autoupdating from a stable build to a beta build and how do I get it to stop doing this?  I have no problem with autoupdates between stable builds, but please keep beta builds out of the mix.

If it helps, the GPU forcing I am seeing is on a mid-2010 MacBook Pro.  The dependencies that gfxCardStatus is flagging up are:

Dropbox, PID: 2411

Dropbox Web Helper, PID:  2417

Dropboxer

Gregory K: Since your Windows machine is running a beta build, 4.3.28, you're being autoupdated to beta builds. You can opt out of the Beta by unchecking “Include me on early releases” and making sure all your devices are not running beta builds. 

Level 1

@Jonathan C.

Thanks for your reply. Disappointed the release notes debarcle is continuing. I realise that KDE is not officially supported - but nevertheless, if standards are adhered to, it should just work. (Particularly disappointing, given that Dropbox uses Qt!) Given how many people here are commenting on it's being broken under KDE without workarounds, what would it take for Dropbox to properly support it?

Also, there remains the long-standing Desktop-environment agnositc bug regarding auto-starting dropbox...