Announcements
Calling Dropbox users in New York city! Read more

Beta Build 5.3.23

16 Comments
11 Kudos
Highlighted
Dropboxer

Beta Build 5.3.23

Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

Download

Windows      [Standard Installer] [Offline Installer]
     Mac OS X   [Standard Installer] [Offline Installer]
     Linux   [x86_64 Offline Installer] [x86 Offline Installer]

Auto-updates: Everyone who chose “Include me on early releases” on the Settings page.

16 Replies
Level 1

Re: Beta Build 5.3.23

Hmmm - without release notes, I can't be bothered checking for myself. So I'll just ask.

Does this new build fix:

• the "Start Dropbox on system startup" checkbox doing absolutely nothing under linux?
  • the failure to use statusnotifiers instead of the old-fashioned xembed system (so that it actually works cross-DE) on linux?

Also, does it include anything like Project Infinity yet - and will that ever be coming to Linux?

Curious to know what has changed - from my perspective the answer seems to be: the version number.

Super User

no release notes - no comments!

Level 8

Based on the release notes, I'd say this is a build that contains many improvements and fixes!

I'd love to test those improvements and fixes, but I'm not going to sit here and decompile it to try and figure out what has changed. Can't you help us out with that part a bit? 

Level 1

What changed? Are you just incrementing version numbers to make it look like you're doing something?

Level 1

Not working. Downgrade to stable version this time and don't want to try development version.

Level 1

This is the 2nd time Dropbox support has asked that we install a beta desktop client, after months of dealing with support and their requests.  The issue we have is that both in Windows and Linux, the client dies after some time, and never completes a full or selective sync.  Granted, we have 4 million plus files, but so what, samba,and Synology by the way, handles that for us with ease.  We moved to Dropbox for convenience, but if it can's sync to meet our needs,it's not much use to us.

We will try this beta version Friday, and report back the results.

Super User

Granted, we have 4 million plus files

That very likely could be the cause of your problems. From here:

Please note, however, that the Dropbox application's performance may start to decline when you store above 300,000 files. At that point you may observe some slowness or unexpected behavior of some features.
Level 1

Yea, well then in my opinion, if it can't even sync 4 M files, it is certainly not business ready.  BTW, for us, it bombs in the current Linux at 50,000 files; we have tried ubunutu, centos, and fedora..

Not sure they are related, but we got real close for a while, before Dropbox moved to the 4.x.x desktop version as I recall, then it went really south.

Also, what's the rationale for no release notes indicating what changes are in the beta versions?  What's the deal with encrypted log files, makes it impossible to debug locally. :-(

Super User

Also, what's the rationale for no release notes indicating what changes are in the beta versions? 

Great question! We've been complaining about it since it first started happening. I can't say anything will change as a result, but Dropbox has heard all the complaints about this (and those from us Super Users as well). Last I heard they are looking at ways to provide us/you/everyone with more information around what’s happening at Dropbox.

A lot of companies are going in this direction, so I don't expect it to change if I'm honest. Still hoping though.