Wanna become a Super User? Learn more about it here

Beta Build 7.3.29

9 Comments
32 Kudos
Highlighted
Dropboxer
July

Beta Build 7.3.29

Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

Download

Windows      [Standard Installer] [Offline Installer]
     Mac OS X   [Standard Installer] [Offline Installer]
     Linux   [x86_64 Offline Installer] [x86 Offline Installer

Auto-updates: Everyone who chose “Include me on early releases” on the Settings page.

9 Replies
Level 2
July

Re: Beta Build 7.3.29

Looks like the change log still does not work!

Level 6
July

Why do you keep posting about every new version if you never say a word on what has changed?

I liked to follow the improvements - no more!

Level 2
July

Hi,

Do you know if the photo upload feature should automatically load photos from the Photos app in OSX? Also, I'm not sure why there is a reference to iPhoto, because that hasn't been current for quite some time.

Super User
July

Do you know if the photo upload feature should automatically load photos from the Photos app in OSX?

No, it won't.

Level 5
July

Dear Jessica, dear Dropboxers,

going back to some months ago about the lack of release notes about new versions, you wrote "For the most part we’ve decoupled releases of the desktop client binaries from releasing new functionality and therefore there aren’t very meaningful release notes to associate with a binary release." 

I'm now running the new 6.4 stable version, and I noticed that when you right-click on a folder you can now share it directly from the desktop without going to the website. That's nice, but why you didn't post anything about that on the changelog? It is really too difficult post something like:

- NEW: you can now share files and folder within the application!

Is it meaningful for you? should we find out new functionality by chance?

We are all very disappointed about that. How about your internal process needed to decide in which way you should tell us something about the development process of Dropbox? I'm missing the times I was running Dropbox 0.6, really.

Level 2
July

Still waiting on the re-appearance of the badges on icons and the status bar for Dropbox - i'm not keen on making my Mac less secure just to get the icons back.

Level 1
July

There is still problems with the icon in Linux, specially in elementary OS. The icon is not showing right and neither working as it should.

Level 1
July

Still no changelog, still no work on fixing things for linux users. Bugs that would be so easy to fix have been ignored. Dropbox has lost much of its good reputation, unfortunately.

For those running linux, and not getting an icon, the necessary hack (for me, at least) is to run

dbus-launch ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

Also, make sure to manually set this up to run on login, since the option in the dropbox preferences does absolutely nothing. (A bug that they've faithfully ignored for many years now!)

If you're running on wayland, you'll need to run it as follows to get the icon to launch:

QT_QPA_PLATFORM="xcb" dbus-launch ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

Yep, that's *two* hacks just to get things running. :-(

Level 2
July

@Fabio, it seems exceedingly obviously that the developers don't care what we think anymore.  They've been completely ignoring the complaints about lack of changelogs/release notes of late.  Common sense dictates that they WOULD provide release notes, especially for new functionality that you just mentioned, and ESPECIALLY for these beta version, so we can test what they say they've fixed, or what they've added.  I've dropped out of these betas, and if this continues, I may just drop out of using their product completely.  I no longer trust the company.  And why would I trust my data to a company I don't trust?