Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beta Builds

5 Comments
6 Kudos
Highlighted
Dropboxer

Beta Builds

Starting today we’re tweaking our terminology around desktop client builds. What we previously called Experimental builds (example) and Release Candidate builds (example) will now collectively be called Beta builds.

We’ll continue to make these builds publicly available here on the Dropbox Community to everyone who would like to try them out. Additionally if you’ve checked off “Include me on early releases” on the Settings page we’ll continuously update all of your desktop clients installations to the latest Beta build. If you would like to remove your account from the Beta channel, uncheck the “Include me on early releases” option on the Settings page.

We greatly appreciate you trying out our latest bits!

5 Replies
Level 6

Re: Beta Builds

Thanks for the info.

And: is it just me (not being a native speaker of English), or is “If you’ve checked off “Include me on early releases” [..]” somewhat misleading/ambiguous? (as in “off” vs. “on”)

For my understanding “If you’ve checked “Include me on early releases””—without “off”—would be unambiguous. (“checked” vs. “unchecked”?)

If, OTOH, it is clear to any native speaker, then please forgive my nitpicking winking face

Peace and out, Tom

Super User II

I see and completely agree with your point, but it's not necessarily an incorrect way to use that phrase.

When something has been checked off a list (think a paper to do list as an example), you've put a check mark next to it to indicate that it's complete, finished, etc. You've physically marked that item with a check mark. It didn't have a check mark previously, you've checked it off your list, and now it has a check mark.

That phrasing is often used when referring to a check box on a computer as well, though it doesn't take in to consideration the fact that in the computing world a check box is often seen as an on/off option, thus leading to the confusion.

In any event, Josh is indicating that you want that box checked if you want to be included in early releases.

Level 6

Ah, I see slightly smiling face thank you, @Rich R.

Level 1

No changelogs from now on? Why not? It's a bitt suspicious to install a beta without knowing what's changed...

Level 1

I had previously selected "Include me on early releases" because it meant that I would Release Candidates, which are indeed early releases, but are also meant to be the next stable release, unless any last minute bug is found. The chances of data loss were therefore minimized compared to Experimental Builds.

With this change I might disable this option and downgrade to the latest stable release. I also think that you should put a small warning next to the "Include me on early releases" checkbox, since less experienced/technical users may not be aware of the risks of running pre-release software.