Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Versioning Scheme

19 Comments
252 Kudos
Highlighted
Dropboxer

New Versioning Scheme

Starting with today’s beta build (4.3.22), the desktop client has a new versioning scheme. The version will continue to be in the form of three numbers separated by periods, but we’re changing or tweaking what each of the numbers represents.

The first number represents the release series. In the past we used two numbers (ex. “3.18”) to represent the release series and we would occasionally decide (somewhat arbitrarily) when to increment the first number while we incremented the second number each time we had a new release series. Starting now the release series is represented by just one number, which at the time of me posting this is 4, and this will be incremented each time there’s a new release series. (This is quite similar to how Chrome and Firefox operate.)

The second number represents the build channel. By just looking at this number you’ll be able to tell what type of build the desktop client is. If the second number is 3, the build is a beta build. If the second number is 4, the build is a stable build. Lower numbers (ex. 1) represent earlier parts of our development process before the code is ready to be made available as a beta.

The third number represents the number of builds made since the beginning of the release series. This number continues to be incremented across build channels.

Here’s a hypothetical example:
  • 9.3.30 ← first beta build in the v9 release series
  • 9.3.31 ← second beta build in the v9 release series
  • 9.3.32 ← third beta build in the v9 release series
  • 9.4.33 ← first stable build in the v9 release series
  • 9.4.34 ← second stable build in v9 release series
19 Replies
Level 7

Re: New Versioning Scheme

Sad thing, I've been waiting for great updates on Dropbox 4.0, but now it is just a "new" version, with no release notes, and no one knows what it is changing...

Level 2

Seeing as your making changes why don't you go back to actually telling has been fixed/added in each build instead of the lazy boring 'we update our app regularly with fixes and enhancements'.

Level 1

do not showing details in changes anymore, is really not that motivation or helpful:

Will there be changelog provided with these versions ?

Level 7

"(This is quite similar to how Chrome and Firefox operate.)". Well, at least Firefox releases some change logs every new version...

Level 7

Chrome does too, high level details are at http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.ca/ and all the details you could want are available via the Chromium project at https://www.chromium.org/developers/change-logs

Level 2

Looking at the new numbering scheme; let's call it X.Y.Z

So there's the “sub” numbers are X.3 and an X.4 but there's no X.1 or X.2.

“3s are betas and 4s are stable.”

That's… what? Why?

Not super intuitive here, team.

And then the first beta is going to be X.Y.30? What happened to 10 or 20?

When Y is incremented, Z is going to be incremented too, so if we have 9.3.35 then the first 9.4 build will be 9.4.36?

I'm sure this makes sense to someone, but I'm not that person.

p.s. as everyone else has said: a return to real release notes would be nice. Even just brief highlights.

Super User

So there's the “sub” numbers are X.3 and an X.4 but there's no X.1 or X.2.

That's… what? Why?

From the original post:

Lower numbers (ex. 1) represent earlier parts of our development process before the code is ready to be made available as a beta.

Level 1

Every company/developer is going to do their own thing, but I invite you to at least look at http://semver.org. 

Throwing out my own personal opinion here (because this IS the Internet after all), using one of the numbers to denote a branch is silly, especially if the public is only ever going to see n.3.n and n.4.n. Also, the fact that Chrome is now at version 50, and Firefox is at version 46 is also unnecessary. Before you know it, with this new version scheme, I feel Dropbox will be at version 30 by the end of 2016.