cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Dropbox desktop client builds

Download the latest Dropbox beta or stable build.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable Build 55.4.171

Stable Build 55.4.171

clientreleases
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

Download

Windows Standard Installer Offline Installer
Mac OS X Standard Installer Offline Installer
Linux x86_64 Offline Installer x86 OfflineInstaller

Auto-updates: In progress

4 Replies 4

1a2a3a
Explorer | Level 3

We have a couple users that have the dropbox desktop client. We have a transparent proxy running on our network as well which does deny access to dropbox for PII compliance. We make exceptions for users that need it. We set it up as having the proxy settings on the client to manual with our proxy IP entered with the port 8080 and http dropdown selected. Authentication settings are not used as authentication to the proxy is done via AD on the machine. Then we set up policy to allow the users to connect to a list of dropbox urls in order for the client to work. It has worked fine until these users updated to this version. Doing packet captures doesn't reveal any new connections to new URLs or anything related to dropbox being dropped. Our proxy does SSL packet inspection. I'm thinking it may be related to a certificate issue but I'm not sure. I hope someone here may have some insight?

(Bypassing the proxy allows the client to sync. The issue is 99% likely related to the SSL inspection.)

Thanks,

Derrick

1a2a3a
Explorer | Level 3

So I've found these articles discussing how SSL interception breaks Dropbox beacuse of Certificate Pinning, and that there's no way around it other than disabling SSL interception for that traffic. However I know for a fact we were able to get it to work and were applying controls around Dropbox based on policy, (with SSL Interception enabled) for several months now. The issue arose when the user noticed that Dropbox made them update. Thus, the more pertinent question would be: What could have changed in the update to this build pertaining to certificates that could have caused this to break?

John L.2
Dropbox Staff

Hi Derrick,

Thanks for your post.  We aren't aware of any changes that we've made in this area that could have caused the issues you are seeing.  We do implement certificate pinning but that has been a long standing feature of the desktop client.

--John

John L.2
Dropbox Staff

Hi Derrick,

Follow-up: we do offer some customizability of these settings with Dropbox Business accounts on an Enterprise plan (https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/network-control).  If you are on this type of account please contact support and we can take a closer look.

Thanks,

John

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

John L.2 Dropbox Staff
    1a2a3a Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?