cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox desktop client builds

Download the latest Dropbox beta or stable build.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable Build 83.4.152

Stable Build 83.4.152

clientreleases
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

Download

Windows Standard Installer Offline Installer
Mac OS X Standard Installer Offline Installer
Linux x86_64 Offline Installer x86 OfflineInstaller

Auto-updates: In progress

47 Replies 47

iiiyraegr
Helpful | Level 6

I spoke too soon when I said:

@iiiyraegr wrote:

Thank you John L.2, that appears to have resolved ALL of my problems, at least for now. 

It did not fix ALL problems. A problem that the resynchronization did NOT fix is build 83.4.125's failure to use compression when syncing new text files added to Dropbox.  With previous version so Dropbox I got about a 5x speed-up due to compression.  (I could tell that data was being compressed using something similar to ZIP compression because the origianl file and the zipped file took the same amount of time to sync when neither had been added to Dropbox before.)  Now the ZIP file syncs about five times faster than the origianl file, indicating that Dropbox is failing to compress.

schlado
New member | Level 2

I have a problem with this version:

If I edit file with the MS Excel App on iOS the desktop client will synchronize, but the file is gone in the directory. It is only in the Cloud and not on the PC.

OJ2
New member | Level 2

Any timelines from Dropbox to have a really stable version that works with MAC OS Catalina? Been working wth DB for years and never saw this amount of problems, specially with Syncing. I had to start moving the files I work most to another service, as much as I hate it. Please help!

Thanks

OJ

jak01
Explorer | Level 3

I have been getting the same error for the past few updates. I am running the current version 83.4.152 on Arch Linux. After doing the suggested uninstall - reinstall Dropbox ran normanlly for a few days.  Now it has regressed back to starting, looking for changes, and then trying to update Drpbox where it hangs until I quit.

abarrcms
Helpful | Level 6

I have the same issue on a fresh install of Ubuntu 19.10, where Dropbox flashes its "recently changed files" submenu list and then the list of files immediately disappears.

If I persist, and click repeatedly, then the submenu list can be (randomly) coaxed into displaying and not disappearing, and then the list is fully functional. A "recently changed file" can be clicked on, and Nautilus opens, showing that file, as expected. 

If the list is closed, and then is attempted to be opened again, the submenu list of "recently changed files" disappears right away, again. Unless I persist and continue to click and it randomly decides to display the list and not have it disappear.

It takes many clicks to get the submenu list to persist and not disappear.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

llau
New member | Level 2

the same, so annoying 

abarrcms
Helpful | Level 6

I contacted Dropbox Support, and in one of their suggestions, they wanted me to reinstall Dropbox with a headless version of itself, so that I wouldn't have to experience the submenu issue "not working" anymore. 

Of course, then there wouldn't be any menus or submenus at all!  I did not find that suggestion to be very helpful.

So I tried to explain to them that this does not "fix" the submenu functionality problem, and that many other people are also experiencing my same problem.

Some of these other people include user llau above for Ubuntu 19.10, and also user layolayo1 on page 1 , for Ubuntu 19.04 . User layolayo1 said he hoped it would be fixed by Ubuntu 19.10 . We note that it hasn't been fixed yet.

Support also asked me to remove and reinstall Dropbox, to see if the problem still persists.

I told them that many users experience this problem, on clean installations of 19.10 and suggested that the submenu problem is likely to be a problem on all of Ubuntu 19.10 itself. Reinstallation would not likely fix anything.

It also could be a problem with us using an incorrect Dropbox installation method for Ubuntu 19.10 . Then, reinstallation might change its behavior.

I've asked them to confirm to me that they can get the submenu behavior to work correctly, for themselves, on Ubuntu 19.10.

Then, if they can do that, then I've asked them for the *exact* cleanup and re-installation method for us to use.

This problem has been going on since at least Ubuntu 19.04 , as the earlier threads by layolayo1 on page 1 mentioned, and has not yet been fixed for Ubuntu 19.10.

Soon Ubuntu 20.04 will be released, which is a stable version, so it would be very desirable for this problem to be fixed by then!

Hopefully Dropbox Support will eventually understand what the problem is, and will try to help fix it.

layolayo
Helpful | Level 5
Well written abarrcms! It would be great if there was some focus put on this - strangely it does work about 1 time in 100, so there maybe something about the timing / threading when picking up the click action...

abarrcms
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for your comment, layolayo!

As a next step, I carefully reinstalled Dropbox using the instructions that Dropbox Support had given me.  Then I rebooted the computer.

The submenu behavior is still broken.

I've now asked them to escalate the problem, and for them to install Dropbox on a clean installation of Ubuntu 19.10 . Either (a) they will have the same submenu problem we do, so then it would then be up to them to fix it, or (b) it works for them, on Ubuntu 19.10 , so we would need to do some sleuthing on what's wrong with our installation method.

However, I already followed their instructions very carefully, on removing Dropbox and reinstalling it,  which didn't help at all. I feel it's unlikely that this is a source of the problem, where so many different users have the exact same submenu problem.

I also suggested they install Dropbox on a beta release of 20.04 , to see if it works there, since that's supposed to be a stable release, where Dropbox should be working correctly.

I'll see what their response is, soon enough, hopefully.

They said they were really swamped with trying to fix various types of bugs and problems.

abarrcms
Helpful | Level 6

I'm on Ubuntu 19.10, as verified with the command

$  lsb_release -ds

Dropbox Support gave me a very helpful suggestion yielding a clue, which was to issue the command:

$ nautilus --version

Here's what that command did, for me:
  Initializing nautilus-dropbox 2019.02.14
  GNOME nautilus 3.34.1
  Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Clearly, nautilus should be able to tell us its version, without seg faulting!

I had re-installed Dropbox according to their instructions.

I've asked them for additional help, where I poked around and found other problems, where it seems that nautilus-dropbox is not installed and won't install.

It could be interesting if you issue the same command,

$ nautilus --version

I'm curious as to how your system responds.

Then I can pass your command's output along to the Dropbox Support people, since I've told them that this problem affects more than one person.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

paulouruguay Explorer | Level 4
    abarrcms Helpful | Level 6
    layolayo1 Helpful | Level 6
    layolayo Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?