cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discover & Connect

Be inspired by other users and discover a new more enlightened way of working with Dropbox.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Community member stories: Using Dropbox to play the blues

Community member stories: Using Dropbox to play the blues

Amy
Community Manager
We LOVE to hear how you, our Community members, use Dropbox - the big stuff, the small stuff, and now, even the blues. @moverl told us all about how he and his bandmates use Dropbox to keep the music flowing. We promise this will cure any Monday blues you’re feeling.

We started a new Blues band -"Blue Sky Bluesband". All the members of the new band are over sixty, and we have been in love with party, dance, and rock'n roll music for decades. Since the people who throw the parties that we want to play are a little younger than us, they tend to demand newer music from the 80's and 90's, which we don’t want to play…. We hope instead to attract attention from the growing number of blues clubs and bars in Europe! The love of the blues is growing and we want to be right there! 

To prepare for a rehearsal or a show, we listen to Youtube and Spotify and make a playlist to agree what songs to play. Our aim is to play high-energy danceable blues rock - both classics and newer material. 

Once we agree on a set list, I find the chords and lyrics for the song on Ultimate Guitar, and make a playlist for the band here and upload the songs to a Dropbox shared folder that we all have access to. From there I download them to the app "Songbook Pro"  where the songs are organized in sets.

Then, all that’s left to do is hit that stage and perform!

It’s amazing that @moverl's answer to Leroy Carr ‘s question of ‘How Long, How Long Blues?’ is decades. I love learning about the different ways people use Dropbox in their real lives, and the different projects that happen as a result. I am of course a Dropbox fan, but really, I just love when people use it for good! Like how Eilene uses Dropbox to organize photos or how Emmet has been using Dropbox to manage files for years.

Do you have a story of your own to share with us? Or any tips and questions for @moverl  - drop them in the comments below and we can have a jam session of our own. Ok, sorry for the bad puns! 
2 Replies 2

Graham
Community Manager

This is awesome, thanks for sharing your wisdom with us @moverl! It really is so interesting to see how people use Dropbox in different ways, and also a great way to pick up some tips!

I'm not in a band, but I am on a quiz team, and I really think the Second Guessers could take some inspiration from how the Blue Sky Bluesband use Dropbox to help boost our quiz preparation game. For the last couple of years, we have been building up a bank of potential questions from all the random bits of trivia we pick up in our day to day lives. It's currently stored on random post-its, phone notes, WhatsApp messages, emails and bar napkins, but I think now is the time to move it to Dropbox! Thanks for the inspiration @moverl. Perhaps you could help us get the ball rolling with a couple of random blues related facts!

Really, we could be using Dropbox for anything we do in groups. Things like organising trips away, planning a party, running a fantasy football league, the list is endless! Has anyone else any experience of using Dropbox as a group? Or even any random quiz questions they'd like to share?

moverl
Helpful | Level 7

Dear Graham!

Thank you for your kind words!

All the best from

Morten

Need more support?