cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Discuss Business

Discuss all things Dropbox Business

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Dropbox actually GDPR compliant?

Is Dropbox actually GDPR compliant?

MartyKI
New member | Level 2

I have a Dropbox Professional account, which is listed on the Dropbox pricing plan page a "Business" account, however, when you then look at your login page, it lists it as a "Personal" account.

On the Dropbox GDPR compliance page it states: "If you are a Dropbox Business customer, please note that you are the data controller, and have specific legal obligations under the GDPR. Dropbox acts as your data processor in these cases. "

It also states: "If you are a Dropbox Basic, Plus or Professional user, Dropbox is the data controller of your data. Please also note that there are specific legal obligations in that regard under GDPR."

So basically, it's my understanding that a Professional account, whilst being listed as "Business", is actually not a business account, and thus does not fulfil a businesses requirements under GDPR as Dropbox will be considered the Data Controller, and as a Data Processor, I don't have the permission to hand over Control of my data to another person.

So the only option I have with Dropbox is to sign up for a Business Advanced account which requires a three user minimum subscription, or £540+VAT per annum.

1 Reply 1

Re: Is Dropbox actually GDPR compliant?

Mark
Super User II

I'm using Dropbox in the UK without issue - you simply need to document the data flows and ensure it is going to a place where it is stored appropriately (i.e. it isnt to a server is sombody's back garden!). You also need to document it and ensure that its recorded in your policies etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/business/trust/compliance/certifications-compliance may also help

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?