cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bespoke Client Interface with backend dropbox - possible?

Bespoke Client Interface with backend dropbox - possible?

JustinaVideo
New member | Level 2

Hi there.

I have a new service that I want to make as simple as possible for my clients, many do not have dropbox accounts.

This is a video editing service, so clients give us their raw video and we edit it.  however, it's also a subscription service and we give other support too.

I would like this interface to have my brand look - very happy to include 'powered by dropbox' or the like.

I want it to have a secure log in for the client. (so perhaps wordpress backend)

Once in they will be able to see a profile area where they can see the plan they have signed up to, they can upgrade, cancel, change payment details. (so another software I've used a few ones will need to be linked in here)

Then an area where they drag and drop / upload their raw video files into an existing set up folder named month 1 for example.  This should trigger a notification to me, where I can then assign that video batch to an editor who is already set up in my dropbox team.

A notification will then be sent to the client to say we have recieved your footage and x is editing it.

There should be a chat box area so that any questions or feedback can go between editor and client, the chat should be pinged to the place the person has already requested - either email or FB messenger.

Then there should be an area where historical video folders/files can be seen by the client, where we have shared previoius videos, where they can download but not edit.

It would be amazing to also have a support ticket function, and an area where I can promote products they might want to buy, but literally just a link button.

Hoping this is possible 😄 

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Dropbox does offer an API you can use for listing, uploading, and downloading files, among other operations. You can find everything you need to get started with the Dropbox API, including documentation, tutorials, and SDKs here:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers

Note though that the API was designed with the intention that each user would link their own Dropbox account, in order to interact with their own files. It sounds like you just want to connect to your one Dropbox account as a storage backend or perhaps CDN, which isn't exactly the intended use.

JustinaVideo
New member | Level 2

Thanks Greg,

Yes ideally so that I don't have to insist that the client has a dropbox account as well. although most people do these days, I have had one person say they don't want to use dropbox... so if I create this interface it doesn't matter if they do or don't... if I can create it.

I will explore that link, thank you for your reply.

Justina

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JustinaVideo New member | Level 2
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?