cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Check sync status of dropbox app, programmatically via c++ or api

Check sync status of dropbox app, programmatically via c++ or api

Kyri
Explorer | Level 4

I wonder if it is possible to tell when dropbox is syncing programmatically,

ideally indirectly via c++

for example let's assume that when dropbox is syncing it writes a tinly .txt or .xml etc file somewhere in its programFiles directory

a developer can check that file (read only) and get dropbox status?

or via the dropbox api??

kind regards..

15 Replies 15

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

No, unfortunately Dropbox doesn't offer a way to check the client status programmatically, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @Greg-DB,

Actually it's possible, but is platform dependent and available only for Dropbox on Linux. :wink: Take a look in the socket "~/.dropbox/command_socket".

@Kyri, If your platform is Linux, you are happy, otherwise - have to hope something will change.

Kyri
Explorer | Level 4

I am currently using Windows SRV for this project unfortunately

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for sharing that additional information @Здравко . Please note though that that socket itself is not officially documented and is not considered an officially supported API for third parties to use to interact with the Dropbox desktop client, so I can't recommend using it. (It's meant for the dropbox.py script we offer for managing the client on Linux via the CLI. One could technically program against the commands offered by that script, but it's not meant as a programmatic interface like the API is.)

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

:grinning::grin: May be that's a serious Dropbox drawback and have to be considered seriously. :wink:

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Здравко Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I've filed this as a feature request for an official API for checking the client programmatically.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @Greg-DB,

I hope you can add to the feature request, "~/.dropbox/command_socket" related, also support for "~/.dropbox/iface_socket" socket. The second one isn't only available on Linux, but also on Mac. Documentation for, already available, interfaces would be helpful and could meet many applications in practice. :wink: These interfaces wasn't changed for least 4-5 years (might be more), so it's finally time to be documented (and got supported officially).

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Здравко Thanks for the additional note and information!

Roason
New member | Level 2

I know it's been a little more than a year; but I would like a programmatic way to access the Windows sync app status.  Is there a way for the community to find out what feature requests are being considered and weigh in on them in some way?

Need more support?