cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File Requests API (or Zapier Integration)?

File Requests API (or Zapier Integration)?

WanderingRaven
New member | Level 2

I am looking for a way to automate the File Requests process.  I currently have a Zapier Zap (Action) set up that creates a folder with my required parameters, and I have even see where I can set that folder to have a shared link.  What I would LIKE to do is have an Action where upon folder creation, there is an option to Send File Request which should allow the build-request process to run using data from the Trigger app. 

Alternatively, ANY way to automate this process would be nice.  Looking for ideas.  Thanks.

11 Replies 11

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I can't offer help with Zapier, but Dropbox itself does offer an API you can use for getting, creating, and updating file requests programmatically:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation/http/documentation#file_requests

That's a link to the documentation for the HTTPS endpoints themselves, but we recommend using one of the official SDKs if possible:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation

Those have corresponding native methods for the HTTPS endpoints. 

Note that the Dropbox API doesn't offer the ability to send the file request(s) to other users via Dropbox, like you can trigger from the Dropbox web site. You'd need to send the file request link via your own communications channel(s).

WanderingRaven
New member | Level 2

Thank you Greg.  I am not a programmer so unfortunately this information is way above me.  Is there a marketplace or best area to find a developer to build one?  Or how would one request additional Actions be pushed to Zapier?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Dropbox itself doesn't have listings of developers to hire. There may be third party marketplaces online where you can search for developers to hire, but we can't recommend any in particular.

If you want to request additional features in Zapier itself, you should contact Zapier, as they control their Dropbox integration.

Apologies I can't be of more help!

Simonlb
New member | Level 2
I would also like to do exactly this!

Panllc
New member | Level 2
Great question yes we can develop this automation for you using the Dropbox API. drop me an email. P.neely@patrickaneelyllc.com

jaonphoto
Helpful | Level 5

This feature is badly needed. I just purchased a paid plan with dropbox to do exactly this and found out afterwards that this option was not available through the API. Maybe a deal breaker for me if this feature is not added soon 😞  I hope Dropbox are listening!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@jaonphoto Thanks for the feedback!

pvanroos
New member | Level 2

Can you share the file request after it's created programmatically through the API?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@pvanroos No, unfortunately the Dropbox API still doesn't offer the ability to share the file request through Dropbox itself. You'd need to take the URL and share it via some other means.

Need more support?