Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

.Net application development

Explorer | Level 3

I am developing a .Net application, but after several days of uploading and downloading, the program stops and I cannot continue. I want to know if the average user has a limit on the number of APIs used?

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: .Net application development

Dropboxer

I'm not sure I understand your question. As noted earlier, there is a general rate limiting system that does effectively limit how many calls you can make per any period of time.

To be clear, there are a number of different limits that you may be referring to:

10 Replies

Dropboxer

The Dropbox API does have a rate limiting system, but we don't have any specific numbers documented. Also, note that the limits operate on a per-user basis.

Whenever an API call fails, make sure you check the status code and response body for more information about why the call failed.

Also note that not all 429s and 503s indicate rate limiting, but in any case that you get a 429 or 503 the best practice is to retry the request, respecting the Retry-After header if given in the response, or using an exponential back-off, if not.

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your reply. Then we have to upgrade why the type of account can not have these restrictions?

Dropboxer

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if you can upgrade to avoid the rate limits? No, the general Dropbox API rate limiting system applies to all account types.

If you hit a rate limit though, the amount of time further API calls for the user are blocked is generally not more than a few minutes. Make sure you check the response body and headers for specific error information.

Explorer | Level 3

I am looking for information that the user has a traffic limit of 20G per day. Is this true? Or are there other restrictions? For example, what are the restrictions every week or month? If so, is there any way to solve it?

Dropboxer

It sounds like you're referring to the bandwidth limits on shared link traffic. This is separate from the general API rate limiting system. You can find more information on the shared link traffic limits, which do vary by account type, here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/security/banned-links 

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your reply. Finally, I want to determine if there is no limit on the number of API calls per month? Is it the number of times.

Dropboxer

I'm not sure I understand your question. As noted earlier, there is a general rate limiting system that does effectively limit how many calls you can make per any period of time.

To be clear, there are a number of different limits that you may be referring to:

Explorer | Level 3

Yes, just like the Dropbox Business teams has a specific data transport limit of 25,000 API calls/month, will ordinary users have this limitation?

Dropboxer

That particular 25,000 calls/month data transport limit only applies to users on Dropbox Business teams subscribed to certain Dropbox Business plans. It doesn't apply to other users, though the other kinds of limits do.

Developer & API Discussions

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Developer & API Discussions.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post