cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Re: Not able to get team folders or files using python sdk

Not able to get team folders or files using python sdk

GopalN
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Python SDK,
Not Able to get files and folders 
where I'm using dropbox business API access token

output = dbx.DropboxTeam(_dropbox_token).as_admin(ng_member_id).files_list_folder("").entries
print(output)

Trying this as suggested from the doc.
help me to do it 
Trying to get files from a folder of folders and download the files.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

What is the value of your '_team_name_space_id' variable? 

Based on the error output you shared, if you want to list the contents of the team space, you should set your '_team_name_space_id' variable to "5632093280".

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

[Cross-linking for reference: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/59877833/download-files-from-dropbox-team-folder-using-python-sd... ]

There are two things to note here that may be preventing you from listing everything you're expecting:

1. The files_list_folder method isn't guaranteed to return everything in the requested folder. You need to always check the returned ListFolderResult.has_more value and if it's True, call back to files_list_folder_continue to get more results, as documented in the files_list_folder documentation.
  2. Dropbox API calls operate in the team member folder by default. If you're on a team with the team space configuration, that won't include your team space folders. You can access the team space though, using the 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root' header, as covered in the Namespace Guide. To set that in the Python SDK, you should use the with_path_root method. Your 'files_list_folder' code would then look something like: 
    output = dbx.DropboxTeam(_dropbox_token).with_path_root(dbx.common.PathRoot.root(team_space_namespace_id)).as_admin(ng_member_id).files_list_folder("").entries
    print(output)

GopalN
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the solution, 
I have tried the above code

dbx = dropbox.DropboxTeam(_dropbox_token).as_user(ng_member_id)
output = dbx.with_path_root(dropbox.common.PathRoot.root(_team_name_space_id)).files_list_folder("").entries
print(output)

Its giving me the error :

('8928caa6ce35a895296b45e5d694ddfe', 'Error in call to API function "files/list_folder": This API function operates on a single Dropbox account
t, but the OAuth 2 access token you provided is for an entire Dropbox Business team. Since your API app key has team member file access permissions, you can operate on a team member\'s Dropbox by providing the "Dropbox-API-Select-User" HTTP header or "select_user"

Note:  I'm the admin and have Permission Type: Team Member file access in business API

Thanks for your solution.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It looks like there's currently an issue with the Python SDK if you use 'as_user' or 'as_admin' before 'with_path_root'. I'll ask the team to fix that up.

As a workaround, please use 'with_path_root' before 'as_user' or 'as_admin', as in the example in my previous comment.

GopalN
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

When I try to do with your reference code this exist with error

dropbox.exceptions.PathRootError: PathRootError('8255e7bee11bfaa054cc966323944b00', PathRootError('invalid_root', TeamRootInfo(root_namespace_id='5632093280', home_namespace_id='6821388560'
, home_path='/Gopal N')))

please suggest the solution.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

What is the value of your '_team_name_space_id' variable? 

Based on the error output you shared, if you want to list the contents of the team space, you should set your '_team_name_space_id' variable to "5632093280".

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

For reference, the issue of not being able to use 'as_user' or 'as_admin' before 'with_path_root' should now be fixed as of v10.3.0 of the Dropbox Python SDK.

phermans
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

In your code sample, you use the variable 

team_space_namespace_id

but I don't know what that is.....where do I get the id of the Team Folder?  Is there a complete example of simply listing all the folders and files in a team folder using python?

Thanks 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@phermans The 'team_space_namespace_id' for a team using the team space configuration would be the 'root_namespace_id' value, e.g., as returned by /2/users/get_current_account. I recommend reviewing the Team Files Guide for more context if you haven't already.

In the Python SDK in particular, you can call that via users_get_current_account, so you can get that information from the returned FullAccount.root_info.

Hopefully that should fill in the missing piece for you so you can connect that with the rest of the code and information in the earlier comments in this thread, but let us know if something still isn't working for you.

phermans
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Greg-DB Thanks for the quick reply. I know you are trying to be helpful but I have tried reading most of the guides, and find them to be mostly not helpful. 

So I jsut tried what you suggested, and what I could glean from the Python SDK...and it still won't work.

dbxt = dropbox.DropboxTeam(_dropbox_token).as_admin(_member_id)
full_accnt = dbxt.users_get_current_account()

yields an error that tells me little.....Error in call to API function "users/get_current_account": Invalid select user id format')

I don't know what a "select user id format" is, or where it is documented but it must make sense to someone who wrote this stuff. 

So I looked at python sdk docs and find that it tells me this:

users_get_current_account()

Get information about the current userā€™s account.

Wonderful.....imagine that, a function called get users_get_current_account gets the current user's account! It apparently takes no arguments and it apparently doesn't work for some esoteric reason.

Sorry for the rant, but this has already cost hours of time to attempt to do the most basic thing - get a list of files and folders in the team folder.

I will continue to guess and check until my token expires (yet again) and I waste a few more hours but after that I will probably say the hell with Dropbox API, it doesn't appear to be worth the time to learn it.

Need more support?