cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open file in native Dropbox App

Open file in native Dropbox App

nickmetnik
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My client would like to use the Dropbox app to open a document into the Dropbox native web or app from their software versus downloading the file locally.  This would allow them to author and sign documents within their team using Dropbox's built in features.

If there is no support for that, will creating share links work?

I hope that make sense!

Thank you,

Nick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Dropbox API doesn't offer a way to directly link to and open files in the native app like this, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

You can create shared links, but those would only open the Dropbox web site. Depending on the platform (e.g., this works on iOS), there may be an option on the resulting web site to then open the file in the native app, if installed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Dropbox API doesn't offer a way to directly link to and open files in the native app like this, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

You can create shared links, but those would only open the Dropbox web site. Depending on the platform (e.g., this works on iOS), there may be an option on the resulting web site to then open the file in the native app, if installed.

nickmetnik
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Greg for confirming the share option.  From a security standpoint it makes sense.  I think if I can add permissions to the root folder for the entire company I could probably make this work slick.  Opening in Drobox web is just fine.  If the feature does make it to production that would be great 🙂

Thanks again,

Nick

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

nickmetnik New member | Level 2
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?