cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ServerException on createSharedLinkWithSettings()

ServerException on createSharedLinkWithSettings()

MarcoNL
Explorer | Level 3

Hi.

I am using the DropBox Core Java SDK from my Java application (v3.1.0 JARs).

In particular, I am uploading a certain number of small files (around 200 files, around 200 KB each), and for each file I am invoking the following code to get a public URL to the file:

============

DbxRequestConfig reqConfig = new DbxRequestConfig(CLIENT_IDENTIFIER);
DbxClientV2 client = new DbxClientV2(reqConfig, myAccessToken);
SharedLinkMetadata sharedLinkData = client.sharing().createSharedLinkWithSettings(pathInDropbox);
String shareablePreviewURL = sharedLinkData.getUrl();

============

For most files in my set, everything works fine. Just for 2/3 files out of 200, it is raising the following exception:

=============

com.dropbox.core.ServerException
at com.dropbox.core.DbxRequestUtil.unexpectedStatus(DbxRequestUtil.java:382)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2$1.execute(DbxRawClientV2.java:154)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2.executeRetriable(DbxRawClientV2.java:330)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2.executeRetriableWithRefresh(DbxRawClientV2.java:351)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2.rpcStyle(DbxRawClientV2.java:137)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.sharing.DbxUserSharingRequests.createSharedLinkWithSettings(DbxUserSharingRequests.java:465)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.sharing.DbxUserSharingRequests.createSharedLinkWithSettings(DbxUserSharingRequests.java:495)

[...]

=============

If I apply a "retry" policy in my application code, then calling again the createSharedLinkWithSettings() will result in the following exception:

=============

com.dropbox.core.v2.sharing.CreateSharedLinkWithSettingsErrorException: Exception in 2/sharing/create_shared_link_with_settings: {".tag":"shared_link_already_exists","shared_link_already_exists":{".tag":"metadata","metadata":{".tag":"file","url":"https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4hrqwqlqb331d4/00000107.dcm?dl=0","name":"00000107.dcm","link_permissions..."}}}
at com.dropbox.core.v2.sharing.DbxUserSharingRequests.createSharedLinkWithSettings(DbxUserSharingRequests.java:474)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.sharing.DbxUserSharingRequests.createSharedLinkWithSettings(DbxUserSharingRequests.java:495)

[...]

=============

So, for a given file, the first call to createSharedLinkWithSettings() sometimes raises a ServerException, but then if retry again with the same Dropbox file it complains that "shared_link_already_exists".

What is happening? Please notice that the same application code has been working flawlessly for the last 12 months or more.

Also, please notice that the exception only happens for 2/3 files out of a set of 200 files.

Can you guess why these exception are happening in the last few days?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Marco Sambin

10 Replies 10

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the report. Can you use `DbxException.getRequestId` to get the request IDs for a few of these server errors and share the IDs here? That should help us track this down. Thanks in advance!

MarcoNL
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Greg,

here are some request IDs failing with ServerException:

> ID: eb912690ee7217289f48215ef1fb37ec

> Related log:

*** DBX exception with file: [/SharedStudies/ShareOp_99995_1558602017099/00000056.dcm], requestID: eb912690ee7217289f48215ef1fb37ec
at com.dropbox.core.DbxRequestUtil.unexpectedStatus(DbxRequestUtil.java:382)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2$1.execute(DbxRawClientV2.java:154)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2.executeRetriable(DbxRawClientV2.java:330)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2.executeRetriableWithRefresh(DbxRawClientV2.java:351)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2.rpcStyle(DbxRawClientV2.java:137)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.sharing.DbxUserSharingRequests.createSharedLinkWithSettings(DbxUserSharingRequests.java:465)

[...]

There are others like this, and again this happens for 2/3 uploads + createSharedLinkWithSettings() settings out of around 200.

Please let me know if you need other from my side in order to understand what's happening. It has been working fine for several months, before last 4-5 days or so.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks and best regards,

Marco Sambin

MarcoNL
Explorer | Level 3

Hi.

Here are other request IDs failing with ServerException, exactly as in my message above:

> ID: cc751ae733db4df9ab80c5ecadd7f7da

> ID: 790db6996f698d8fe2bf2c636ec058c2

Please let me know if it helps.

Best regards,

Marco

TaylorKrusen
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the helpful report, Marco. Sorry your integration stopped working fully.

I filed a bug with engineering and will update you when I hear back from them. 

MarcoNL
Explorer | Level 3

Hi.

Do you have news about this issue?

I would like to restore full funcionality of my Dropbox-based service as soon as possible.

Regards,

Marco

TaylorKrusen
Dropbox Staff

Hi, Marco. 

Unfortunately, I don't have an update for you at this time. It's been reported and is being looked at, but I don't have a timeline for a fix. 

As a workaround, please keep using the retry logic that you mentioned in your initial post.  

TaylorKrusen
Dropbox Staff

Hi Marco!

Good news! It looks like a fix was implemented. 

Could you take a look and see whether you're still getting the error? 

MarcoNL
Explorer | Level 3

Hi.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Unfortunately, the issue does not seem to be fixed.

I've just retried uploading my set of files and obtaining the public URLs for them, and again, I got 2 errors out of 208 uploaded files. See details below, also including the request IDs that are failing:

========

requestID: feb3c32fd715ebc70f97f9bb25774ebd
at com.dropbox.core.DbxRequestUtil.unexpectedStatus(Unknown Source)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2$1.execute(Unknown Source)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2.executeRetriable(Unknown Source)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2.executeRetriableWithRefresh(Unknown Source)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2.rpcStyle(Unknown Source)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.sharing.DbxUserSharingRequests.createSharedLinkWithSettings(Unknown Source)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.sharing.DbxUserSharingRequests.createSharedLinkWithSettings(Unknown Source)
at imageviewer.h.a.c.a(Unknown Source)
at imageviewer.h.bv.q(Unknown Source)
at imageviewer.h.bx.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

*** getPermanentSharedLink() DBX exception with file: [/SharedStudies/ShareOp_99995_1559642700239/00000185.dcm], requestID: 8489fc1104ee6ca5bd287e5af39793dd
at com.dropbox.core.DbxRequestUtil.unexpectedStatus(Unknown Source)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2$1.execute(Unknown Source)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2.executeRetriable(Unknown Source)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2.executeRetriableWithRefresh(Unknown Source)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2.rpcStyle(Unknown Source)
at imageviewer.h.a.c.a(Unknown Source)
at imageviewer.h.bv.q(Unknown Source)
at imageviewer.h.bx.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

========

Please let me know if you have further updates.

It seems to me this is an important issue, which may affect several Dropbox SDK users.

Best regards,

Marco Sambin

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for letting us know, and apologies for the trouble! We'll check on this again and follow up here once we have an update for you.

Need more support?