cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

access token expired

access token expired

GRP2
New member | Level 2

Hi! My acess token sometimes expire them self.

I generate it in App console, by clicking generate button. I use acess token only for aceesing files - dowload and get_temporary_link. Also I use Dropbox Desktop for loading files.

Is there some limitation for acess token, e.g. requests count or something else? It is very strange, but last time it expired 6-7 days after creating.

My app has status: Development and permission type: App folder, have one user.

Is it posible to see any logs, to know what happend with acess token?

Any ideas why acess token expires?

Thanks!

8 Replies 8

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

By default, Dropbox API access tokens for your app(s) don't expire by themselves, but there a number of different ways that a Dropbox API access token can become invalid:

• the user can revoke all access tokens for an app by unlinking it on the connected apps page
  • any client with the access token can revoke the access token by calling /2/auth/token/revoke
  • if the app uses the "app folder" permission, the token can be disabled by the user deleting the app folder itself in the Dropbox account, either via the Dropbox website or any client
  • the app can be disabled
  • the account that owns the app can be disabled
  • the connected account can be disabled

You can check on activity in your account itself on the Dropbox web site. Dropbox doesn't offer API logs for checking API activity though. 

grp3
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, Greg! It's me, but new name

Thanks for your reply! None of these cases did not happened with my account.

I use free account, and maybe there are some limitations like download traffic limit that could affect token. I am just at a loss. And it is unclear if it will be fixed after upgrading to Plus plan.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

It sounds like you're referring to the shared link bandwidth limits, documented here. That's unrelated to access token validity. 

Also, changing from free to paid won't affect access token validity.

If you believe something isn't working as expected on the API, please feel free to open a ticket.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @GRP2/@grp3,

Are you sure you didn't create access token in one of your account and try use it on another one? :thinking: You are using two different accounts in fact (content is different, even when matching)!

Hope this gives the right direction. :wink:

grp3
Explorer | Level 4

What do you mean, Здравко? How can I use token in another account? I send only path to file and token, there is no info what account I use.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

:grinning::slight_smile:

@grp3 wrote:

What do you mean, Здравко? How can I use token in another account?...

Exactly, You can't! :wink:

@grp3 wrote:

... I send only path to file and token, there is no info what account I use.

You didn't mention in any way exact API point in use or error message you have received, so I have supposed exactly what you said above. The token represent particular account! Are you sure that the particular account (represented using particular token) contains the path you are talking about? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

grp3
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, It works fine, otherwise I receive Not found. I get access token expired error and when I regenerate acess token, it works again.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

What is the "full picture" of (how to say) everything? What is/are API point(s), you are using? What are the full (error) messages (entire JSON) both when work fine and when fail? Any other info able clarify the "picture" would be helpful to somebody passed through/around the same/similar behaviour (probably more useful info back to you). :upside_down:

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    grp3 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?