cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

api call limit

api call limit

sumant
New member | Level 2

I am currently using dropbox basic account .I have read the online discussions and come to conclusion that

• There is no limit to the no of upload api calls I can make.
  • There is no limit to the no of download api calls I can make .

Am i correct in my conclusion.

The limit is only in terms of space.If I need more space only then I upgrade

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

While there isn't a limit specifically on the number of upload or download calls in Basic accounts, the Dropbox API does have a general rate limiting system that limits how many API calls overall can be made in a given period of time.

We don't have any specific numbers documented for that. It is only designed to prevent abuse though, and is accordingly relatively generous. Further, the limits operate on a per-user basis. That being the case, you generally don't need to worry about hitting it in normal use.

Also note that not all 429s and 503s indicate rate limiting, but in any case that you get a 429 or 503 the best practice is to retry the request, respecting the Retry-After header if given in the response, or using an exponential back-off, if not.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?