cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox .NET SDK (Refresh Token)

Dropbox .NET SDK (Refresh Token)

GevorgMel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi,

I found changes in OAuth2 for API, so the authorization could be done with offline access, ascuirung both Access and Refresh tokens. This part is OK, with ProcessCodeFlow method in SDK. But could not find any method to refresh access token using saved refresh token.

Can you please help me with this case?

Thanks,

Capture.PNG

22 Replies 22

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@OFV When your "DropboxClient is instantiated with the Access_token and refresh token", are you also supplying the app key and secret? Those are required to perform the refresh. Make sure you're doing so, like in the example here.

OFV
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes I am using the appid and appsecret. I'm using the constructor as in the example, with the addition of the access token expiry date:

CurrentClient = new DropboxClient(accessToken, refreshToken, expiryDate, appKey, appSecret, config);

The access token returned starts with sl. and is 139 bytes long. The refresh token starts with 1y_ and is 64 bytes long.

Fetching data from the api works up to the expiry date, which was set to 2020-12-09 17:37:48. After that fetching data takes a few minutes (!!) before throwing the exception.

OFV
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I found 2 possible culprits:

- My code wasn't properly "asynced", which I know I have to avoid: eg: ListFolderAsync(xxx).result(). I recursively converted all methods to async (which was a long way up), and got rid of the .result calls. (I know these calls result in timeouts when exceptions occur inside)

- In the Dropbox App console for our app, under OAuth section: The "access token expiration" was still set to "no expiration", which I now set to "short lived".

With these 2 updates, it now seems to run (with original accesss token still from yesterday).

GevorgMel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Try to use a constructor with refreshtoken, appkey, appSecret. It works for me

OFV
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Gevorg,

Thanks for the help, but it wroks for me now, even with the extra params in the constructor.

My issue was due to the 2 culprits I described in my previous post.

abeyaz
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am saving only the refresh token to database and using dropboxClient with refresh token, appkey, appsecret constructor. Do I need to  save the access token also and use accessToken, refreshToken, appKey, appSecret, config constructor instead. What is the difference between them?

GevorgMel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
No, there is no need to save access token, if you’re using appId, appSecret and refresh token it is enough. Provided access token will be ignored anyway.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@abeyaz GevorgMel is correct, you do not need to supply the access token as well. That is optional, since only the refresh token, app key, and app secret are actually needed to perform the refresh to get a new short-lived access token. 

abeyaz
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you. Documentation says refresh tokens are long-lived.  How long exactly? Say it is 6 months, does it mean we need to involve client again to get a new authentication code and then a new refresh token ?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@abeyaz Refresh tokens don't expire by themselves, but they can be revoked on demand by the user/app.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jon p New member | Level 2
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    abeyaz Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?