cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From webapp, write file to local and then sync back on close?

From webapp, write file to local and then sync back on close?

Timpan
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am using a web-based project management app and trying to integrate DB folders with it.

Is there a way to do the following:

1. Access a folder from a browser.
2. On selecting a file, automatically save it locally so that I can work with it (say in InDesign).

3. When done, automatically sync back with Dropbox.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I see, thanks for clarifying. While you can certainly upload and download files from/to the Dropbox servers in a web app in the browser using the Dropbox API, you may not be able to accomplish the local filesystem write/read operations that you want automatically. That would depend on the local file capabilities of the browser, but I can't offer guidance on that.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Dropbox does offer an API you can use for listing, uploading, and downloading files, among other operations. You can find everything you need to get started with the Dropbox API, including documentation, tutorials, and SDKs here:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers

Specifically, to list the contents of a folder, you can use:

To download a file, you can use:

And to upload a new version of a file, you can use:

Those are links to the documentation for the HTTPS endpoints themselves, but we recommend using one of the official SDKs if possible:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation

Those have corresponding native methods for the HTTPS endpoints. 

Hope this helps! 

Timpan
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks, Greg!

Is there a way to get the local Dropbox file location for the user from the browser, so that we can automate the process?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm not sure I understand your question. Can you elaborate?

The Dropbox API operates by having your app communicate directly with the Dropbox servers, not the user's local filesystem. What you do with the result, e.g., the data for a file you downloaded from Dropbox, is up to you. For instance, it sounds like you may want to download it to the user's local computer. Exactly how you do that would be more of a matter of general web programming, so I can't offer much help with that side of things.

Timpan
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks, Greg.

Actually, what I am trying to do is be able to access a file located on our Dropbox (say, Photoshop file) through a browser, be able to open it in photoshop, then when I save it, to have the edited version on the Dropbox server, so that then another team member can edit it.

I didn't think this was possible (although Google Drive does it through Chrome), but wanted to ask, in case there is a soution.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I see, thanks for clarifying. While you can certainly upload and download files from/to the Dropbox servers in a web app in the browser using the Dropbox API, you may not be able to accomplish the local filesystem write/read operations that you want automatically. That would depend on the local file capabilities of the browser, but I can't offer guidance on that.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Timpan Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?