cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Get shareable links that I can use in <image href>

Get shareable links that I can use in <image href>

kunaljx86
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, I would like to use Dropbox to store images received on my backend. I would also like to get access to the URL that I can directly use in <image href> in frontend. However, going through /upload API I can't find any property in response that corresponds to a URL.

I am using NodeJS + Express as my backend. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kylea
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Generating a direct link for use in an <image href> isn't recommended.

Instead, I'd recommend one of two options:

• Use the Dropbox Embedder to display files. Instead of an image href, you'd use a Dropbox shared link (which you can create with the sharing API) as the input to a javascript snippet.
  • Use the thumbnail API to get efficient thumbnails of content, and serve them through your app (and power downloads with our download API, if applicable).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

kylea
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Generating a direct link for use in an <image href> isn't recommended.

Instead, I'd recommend one of two options:

• Use the Dropbox Embedder to display files. Instead of an image href, you'd use a Dropbox shared link (which you can create with the sharing API) as the input to a javascript snippet.
  • Use the thumbnail API to get efficient thumbnails of content, and serve them through your app (and power downloads with our download API, if applicable).

kunaljx86
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Ok thank you

benfsmith
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Does not recommended equate to not possible? I’m not trying to host in a web page, yet still need a direct link

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@benfsmith While the Dropbox API does offer the ability to programmatically create (temporary) direct links, the documentation notes "This URL should not be used to display content directly in the browser.". I can't speak to whether or not this would happen to work for your use case in practice, but Dropbox doesn't officially support it, so we wouldn't be able to offer help with any issues that may arise with that.

Need more support?