cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Instructions for a simple link on a webpage?

Instructions for a simple link on a webpage?

Msadr
Explorer | Level 4

All I want to do is hyperlink from a webpage to a shared drobox folder.  Is this impossible?  No matter how I format the link, I get "Dropbox refuses to connect".  I created an app and added that domain, still refuses to connect.  If I paste the link into a browser window, it works.

This seems like such a simple thing.  Does anyone have instructions anywhere on how to connect from a secure website to a specific dropbox folder?  I don't need any functionality at all.  I don't even need to display the contents anywhere.  I just want to direct the user from the webpage to dropbox.

20 Replies 20

barbarartist
New member | Level 2

Well, the only one I have that is not working is to the file at my dropbox. And I really don't want to share that link to this public forum. If I could send it to you privately that would work. I'm at [personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines]

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

For sure: I have never invite you to send on public place some private info!!! Even your email posted here is BAD thing! Erase it.

That what I invite you is to post "nonworking example". 😉 You can use a link pointing some dummy file. The only mandatory thing is to show the issue - i.e. the issue to be clear.

Hope it's a bit more clear now.

barbarartist
New member | Level 2

This is to an empty dummy file:

<a href=”https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/yndx3xyfkwczmmjbzegqz/AP5IuRHPTk67Oyl-MTG9ROw?rlkey=gam3ghcw8c41hhhx4...>Dummy Folder</a>

This is how I formatted the link to the other file full of photos. When I copied the link to my webpage, the link showed but took me to a 404 Not Found page.

barbarartist
New member | Level 2

Oh, and I am talking about adding it to the code at my website. It is a custom site, coded. All the other links there are formatted in this way. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@barbarartist wrote:

This is to an empty dummy file:

<a href=”https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/yndx3xyfkwczmmjbzegqz/AP5IuRHPTk67Oyl-MTG9ROw?rlkey=gam3ghcw8c41hhhx4...>Dummy Folder</a>

This is how I formatted the link to the other file full of photos. When I copied the link to my webpage, the link showed but took me to a 404 Not Found page.

😂@barbarartist, Is this your first try to create a link node in web page? 🙂

There is a bunch of mistakes. First of all, keep in mind that HTML is design language and it has strict rules despite some flexibility related to some other programing languages. This is NOT a human language with large degree of freedom - some small changes may make the things wrong.

In particular case: Use only ASCII symbols (the quotes especially), when you open quote, have to close it too, and DO NOT change the link (as mentioned already multiple times - including adding slashes). 👆

ADD: Take a look how work your corrected "nonworking" link (embedded in a place):

dummy_folder_link.gif

Take more care! 😉

barbarartist
New member | Level 2

No it is not the first time. I've done tons of them and simply by copying the way they are done at my site. Okay, so I closed the quotes and got rid of the dash. (Added the dash after it would not work.) Care to share the link with me that you got to work? Because other than adding the <a href=" and having the link as is from dropbox and concluding with 

”></a>  I have added nothing and it still does not work for me. 

barbarartist
New member | Level 2

I meant 'slash' not dash - Yep, I added that. Now it is gone. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

I don't have anything to share. The only thing I changed is the background - didn't look well on dark background - nothing else. Probably you have other mistakes. Can you share the place where you have tested this dummy folder? (link to the place, don't cite the node)

ADD: By the way:

@barbarartist wrote:

”></a> I have added nothing and it still does not work for me.

What about "only ASCII symbols" ??!!! Is the quote above an ASCII symbol?

Again, take more care!

barbarartist
New member | Level 2

No, I am talking about the code you created and posted at your site in order to link to the dummy folder. Can you share the code so I can see what you did? The page in question is password accessible only. I can't share that because I would have to give you the logins. I can give you another page at my site that is the same coding, will that help you?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Again, it's one to one the yous. Only the mistakes, I mentioned, have been fixed - nothing more.

ADD: I see you regularly place wrong quotes! Check what you have used on your side.

Need more support?