cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iterating and Downloading from shared link subfolders

Iterating and Downloading from shared link subfolders

avieini
New member | Level 2

Hi all,

I have a shared link looking like this: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o0qb...

In this link I have folders and subfolder and some heavy files in them. 

I searched across the web and didn't find anything that could help me.

I basically want to be able to iterate over the folders and the subfolders and download files from specific subfolders. 

I am working with Python and the best I could do so far was retrieve the subfolders names and id's (by using this theard )

Do you have any idea how to tackle it?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Pikamander2
Super User

Here's the HTTP documentation and here's the Python documentation (see the dropbox.dropbox subpage).

For HTTP requests, the /download, /get_shared_link_file, and /list_folders endpoints sound like they would be helpful.

For the Python library, check out the files_downloadfiles_download_to_file, and files_list_folder functions.

The dropbox API is very complex, so you'll need to read through the documentation to see what all is available.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@avieini Yes, as Pikamander2 mentioned, there are some methods that can help with this, like files_list_folder from the thread you linked to, as well as sharing_get_shared_link_file.

Here's a basic example of what using those may look like:

import dropbox

ACCESS_TOKEN = "..."
url = "https://www.dropbox.com/sh/..."

dbx = dropbox.Dropbox(ACCESS_TOKEN)

shared_link = dropbox.files.SharedLink(url=url)
print(dbx.files_list_folder(path="", shared_link=shared_link))

filename = "..."
print(dbx.sharing_get_shared_link_file(url=url, path=filename))

avieini
New member | Level 2

Hi Greg, thanks for your answer

The point that I get confused with is how do I (iteratively) acess the subfolders of the main folder ? 

The files_list_folder method only gives me the names and the ids of those subfolders.

If I could "enter" each subfolder I would be able to downlaod it's files.

Hope now it's clearer.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@avieini While the 'files_list_folder' method does not support the native 'recursive' mode when listing from a shared link, you can iteratively list out the contents of the subfolders, by calling again with the relevant 'path' value(s). For example, say if I make the first call:

print(dbx.files_list_folder(path="", shared_link=shared_link))

If that shows me that there is a subfolder with a 'name' of 'another folder', for example, I can then call again to list that one, like:

print(dbx.files_list_folder(path="/another folder", shared_link=shared_link))

That will give the listing for that subfolder, and then likewise I can call 'sharing_get_shared_link_file' to download a file from inside that subfolder, like:

print(dbx.sharing_get_shared_link_file(url=url, path="/another folder/test.txt"))
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    avieini New member | Level 2
    Pikamander2 Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?