cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multimedia and MIME Types ?

Multimedia and MIME Types ?

Coderpina
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hiyo . 
I have a low-traffic webpage that calls 1-3 [legal] sound files hosted on my personal public dropbox folder. I'm troubleshooting their inconsistent playback, testing different HTML5 audio tag tweaks, browser compatibilities, converters/headers/encodings.  I want to make sure Dropbox is not in the list of implicated variables. 

It has been flagged on this forum in the past that Dropbox erroneously expects MIME type as Plain Text, and vulnerably uses the file-extension alone to determine type. Dropbox’s serving my 

1. Have multimedia filetypes for Mp4, Ogg, Mp3 audio been added to the .htaccess file of Dropbox servers?
2. Is my current Dropbox link syntax the best for my particular use case:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/pwdfzbrh435aaq9/lietoofine_-_03_-_Get_Over_the_FOMO.mp4?dl=1
(Depending on the format, the filesize ranges from 2MB to 6MB, and I would rather Dropbox streamed instead of delivered the whole file first, but I saw on another post that the DL=1 ensures the file is served to an external call properly. I believe this may depend on the metadata of the file itself for seeking/when to start playback?)

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm not sure I follow your post entirely (it looks like you may have something cut off at "Dropbox’s serving my "...?)

1. A ".htaccess" configuration file is specific to certain kinds of web servers, but I don't believe Dropbox uses them. Is there a particular behavior with Dropbox you're having trouble with? If you provide steps to reproduce the issue, as well as the unexpected error or output we can take a look, though I can't promise we'd be able to change the behavior for you.

2. In this link, you're using the "dl.dropbox.com" domain, which isn't officially supported for linking to files. It may currently work, but we can't promise it will continue to. (The same goes for "dl.dropboxusercontent.com".)

The only officially supported/documented way is to use "www.dropbox.com", optionally using the URL parameters documented here. Those may or may not suit your use case though.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm not sure I follow your post entirely (it looks like you may have something cut off at "Dropbox’s serving my "...?)

1. A ".htaccess" configuration file is specific to certain kinds of web servers, but I don't believe Dropbox uses them. Is there a particular behavior with Dropbox you're having trouble with? If you provide steps to reproduce the issue, as well as the unexpected error or output we can take a look, though I can't promise we'd be able to change the behavior for you.

2. In this link, you're using the "dl.dropbox.com" domain, which isn't officially supported for linking to files. It may currently work, but we can't promise it will continue to. (The same goes for "dl.dropboxusercontent.com".)

The only officially supported/documented way is to use "www.dropbox.com", optionally using the URL parameters documented here. Those may or may not suit your use case though.

Coderpina
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks Greg, that's helpful.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Coderpina New member | Level 2
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?