cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help ON API HTTP POST

Need Help ON API HTTP POST

athnetix
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Brand new user to DropBox API and have run into a issue trying to run an API.

I am able to get thru the Auth2 verification OK in my code and now want to just run a simple API.

So I tried with the API:  https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/file_requests/count

I constructed a HTTP POST request as follows:

ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol = SecurityProtocolType.Tls12

Dim hwrequest As Net.HttpWebRequest = Net.HttpWebRequest.Create("https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/file_requests/count")
hwrequest.UserAgent = "http_requester/0.1"
hwrequest.Timeout = 60000
hwrequest.Headers.Add(stoken) ----stoken is in JSON format
hwrequest.Method = "POST"
hwrequest.ContentType = "application/json"

Dim hwresponse As Net.HttpWebResponse = hwrequest.GetResponse()
If hwresponse.StatusCode = Net.HttpStatusCode.OK Then
Dim responseStream1 As IO.StreamReader = _
New IO.StreamReader(hwresponse.GetResponseStream())
Dim responseData1 = responseStream1.ReadToEnd()
End If

When I run this I get an error: Specified value has invalid HTTP Header characters. Parameter name: name

Now looking at the documenation it seems that the Header I added needs to be in a json format, which I did.

Question if I added the authorization as a header is it true it needs to be in JSON format. 

Any help wiould be great.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No, the "Authorization" header value should not be JSON. It should be plain text of the format: 

Bearer ACCESS_TOKEN_HERE

You can find an example of what a call to /2/file_requests/count would look like using curl in the documentation

For reference, /2/file_requests/count is an "RPC" style endpoint, so any API call parameters (separate from the Authorization) it takes would be expected as JSON in the request body, not a header. Note that /2/file_requests/count in particular doesn't take any API call parameters anyway though, so you don't need to supply a request body when calling it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No, the "Authorization" header value should not be JSON. It should be plain text of the format: 

Bearer ACCESS_TOKEN_HERE

You can find an example of what a call to /2/file_requests/count would look like using curl in the documentation

For reference, /2/file_requests/count is an "RPC" style endpoint, so any API call parameters (separate from the Authorization) it takes would be expected as JSON in the request body, not a header. Note that /2/file_requests/count in particular doesn't take any API call parameters anyway though, so you don't need to supply a request body when calling it.

athnetix
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks so much for your help on this.. I did get it working oK.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

athnetix Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?