cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Overwrite a File

Overwrite a File

SteveBendOR
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Folks;

I'm brand new and just assessing the API but have this question:

I see that Dropbox API does not directly support appending text to an existing file.

If I want to accomplish that task it would seem that I would 1) download the original file; 2)extract the contents; 3) append my new content to this extraction; 4) write this new combined content back to a new file; 5)upload to dropbox with the same name as the existing original file...   

Thanks for any insights!

Steve

Will this strategy work in the v2API as it stands today?  Can anyone provide a link to the most relevant API calls?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, the API unfortunately doesn't offer a way to append directly (I'll send this along as a feature request though), so you'd need to download and upload the edited content.

First, to download the existing file, you would use /2/files/download.

After you make your modifications locally, you would then upload the new version using /2/files/upload.

Those are links to the documentation for the HTTPS endpoints themselves, but we recommend using one of the official SDKs if possible. Those have corresponding native methods for the HTTPS endpoints. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, the API unfortunately doesn't offer a way to append directly (I'll send this along as a feature request though), so you'd need to download and upload the edited content.

First, to download the existing file, you would use /2/files/download.

After you make your modifications locally, you would then upload the new version using /2/files/upload.

Those are links to the documentation for the HTTPS endpoints themselves, but we recommend using one of the official SDKs if possible. Those have corresponding native methods for the HTTPS endpoints. 

SteveBendOR
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Greg K

Perfect!  Thank-You.

Timely, on-point and answering all aspects of the question.

Sweet!

Need more support?