cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading sql table without downloading

Reading sql table without downloading

DFCO
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

As the title says, I want to have a large-ish database (which is 90% read-only), along with other similar accessible files, in dropbox. However, I also need it to stay there, without it being downloaded to any local machine.

The tricky part being that I'm not a real programmer and most places I've visited don't have an actual answer or my google-fu isn't strong enough to find an answer. I'm using vb because it's what I picked up recently to entertain myself...

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
The Dropbox API doesn't offer a way to read/query a SQL database stored on Dropbox directly. You'd have to download the entire file and then use it locally (and re-upload the new version if there are any changes). I'll pass this along as a feature request.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
The Dropbox API doesn't offer a way to read/query a SQL database stored on Dropbox directly. You'd have to download the entire file and then use it locally (and re-upload the new version if there are any changes). I'll pass this along as a feature request.

DFCO
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This applies even to regular files, correct? I can't read them without downloading them locally, correct? Even a simple .txt file, I'd have to download it, alter it locally, then re-upload it? The idea is to keep local information to a minimum, after all.

I'll keep an eye out for future updates. Who knows if we get the ability to run sql commands through it, haha.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
That's correct, this works the same way for all file types.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    DFCO New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?