cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Timeline for Paper 2020 migration

Timeline for Paper 2020 migration

mitko-slapdash
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello, according to the following migration guide, the classical Dropbox Paper endpoints will stop working this month:
https://www.dropbox.com/lp/developers/reference/paper-migration-guide

However, according to this FAQ page, it says that Paper 2020 will be rolled out to users over the next following months:

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/paper/paper-2020-faqs

My question is: is there a chance that there will be a gap in coverage, where some users are not migrated to Paper 2020, yet their API stops working? How many months would the migration take?

We have some customers which use Dropbox Paper, but we currently only support the Paper 2020 version, since it didn't make sense to invest time to build over the deprecated API. They keep on asking for support for Dropbox Paper, and we keep telling them "soon 🙂 ".

It would help to know if you're currently expecting to do the bulk of migration this month, or if there could be multiple month delay, but I know future timeline is hard to predict 😉 so I wouldn't ask for exact timeline of the migration, just any best guess you might have. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for checking in. We'll make sure we don't leave a gap in coverage. If we do have to extend the migration timeline, we won't cut off the legacy Paper API.

We may in fact be updating that timeline soon, but I can't offer specifics or an official update right now. 

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for checking in. We'll make sure we don't leave a gap in coverage. If we do have to extend the migration timeline, we won't cut off the legacy Paper API.

We may in fact be updating that timeline soon, but I can't offer specifics or an official update right now. 

mitko-slapdash
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks, that's fair enough. I know these timelines may be hard to predict. 

I know that the Dropbox eng team is great and will likely be able to complete the migration this month or early next month, though if you think there might be a chance of the migration happening all the way until November, then we'd have to build Dropbox paper support for the legacy API, since our users are asking for it.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Quick update: we have extended the timeline for this: https://www.dropbox.com/lp/developers/reference/paper-migration-guide

Edis
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am posting this in order to stay updated with the timeline.

Really need to know when we've got to stop using the create api

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Edis Thanks for the note. We've moved the retirement of the legacy Paper API to Q2 of 2021. We'll update the migration guide again if there are any further changes.

mitko-slapdash
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Greg-DB Thanks for the updates!
Is the migration still planning to finish this quarter (Q2 of 2021) ?
Thanks!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@mitko-slapdash I don't have any news on this right now.

Edis
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Greg-DB can you find out what the status is?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Edis Yes, I'm working on getting an update on this.

Need more support?