cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

api folder visibility ?

api folder visibility ?

INA-GTM
Explorer | Level 3

the company i work for will be developing an app to transfer files to clients using a cloud-based system such as dropbox. i'm currently testing dropbox against the mandate for the functionality we require, and i've run across something i don't understand.

part of the mandate specifies that files transferred by the API need to be accessible to a sysadmin via a control panel. however, when the scripts i write upload files, they aren't visible via the admin panel. also, i'm able to create folders via the admin panel, but when i query for them using the API, they aren't found. my conclusion is that the admin panel and the API access different namespaces. is that correct ?

if so, is there another way to use the API so it will upload files into the user namespace and therefore be visible by admins ?  or barring that, a way to configure the admin panel to access the API namespace ?  [FYI the endpoints i'm using in the scripts are, for example, /2/files/create_folder_v2 and /2/files/get_metadata].

if not, what approach would you suggest we use in order to accomplish what we need ?

2 Replies 2

Re: api folder visibility ?

Greg-DB
Dropboxer

When you create folder or upload files using the API, there are a number of ways to specify where you want to put the folders/files. By default, these operations will work inside the user's own folder, and not in a shared folder or space. I recommend reading the Namespace Guide and Content Access Guide, as they cover how these mechanisms work and what options you can control from the API. 

On the Business Admin Console, a team admin can view always view shared team content, but they won't see content inside individual team member folders by default. Some Business plans do offer an additional "sign in as" feature that enables them to access individual member accounts though. 

Re: api folder visibility ?

INA-GTM
Explorer | Level 3

many thanks, @Greg-DB that was very helpful.

even though i am the 'team admin' and i believe i should therefore be able to see all of the content by anyone in the team [especially myself...], it turns out there are two distinct access points : one at https://www.dropbox.com/team/admin/content, and another at https://www.dropbox.com/home/{user}/Apps/{appname}. i'll work through this using the guides in the links you sent me.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

INA-GTM Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?