cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox webhook timeout multithread

dropbox webhook timeout multithread

ivan006
Helpful | Level 6

My webhook is timing out because the process that is being run in responce to the webhook is too long. now i know what u thinking "why is the process such a long one" well it just is okay and it needs to be so please. is there a way to respond to the webhook to say "thank you" but continue the process afterwoulds. is this like multithreading or what?

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Yes, Dropbox expects your webhook URI to respond relatively quickly, so you should not perform the actual work to be done before responding to the webhook HTTPS request. You should have your server send the work off on to another thread so it can then send the HTTPS response quickly. There's some information about this under "Best practices" in the webhook documentation.

ivan006
Helpful | Level 6

how do u recommend multithreading in php? curl? exec?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Unfortunately, exactly how you manage threads is outside the scope of support I can offer, as it's not about using the Dropbox API itself. Please refer to the documentation for your platform/programming language for information on how to use threads in your environment.

ivan006
Helpful | Level 6

ill just toggle a pending/complete status in and update_status.txt file during the webhook and then run a minute by minute cron job to check the update_status file for a pending statuses. God php is so mono-threadular why do i even bother.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ivan006 Helpful | Level 6
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?