cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

legacy token

legacy token

bspindia
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

my token is expiring while making api calls and getting unauthorised error due to short live tokens, how to generate unexpired token 

please assist

regards,

Sikandar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bspindia
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Hurray made it

$ch = curl_init();

curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, 'https://api.dropbox.com/oauth2/token');
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, 1);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, "grant_type=refresh_token&refresh_token=***refreshtoken******");
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERPWD, '**AppKey' . ':' . '***AppSecret*****');

$headers = array();
$headers[] = 'Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded';
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, $headers);

$result = curl_exec($ch);
echo $result;

if (curl_errno($ch)) {
echo 'Error:' . curl_error($ch);
}
curl_close($ch);

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@bspindia wrote:

my token is expiring while making api calls and getting unauthorised error due to short live tokens, how to generate unexpired token 

Long-lived (non-expiring) tokens can no longer be generated. They were deprecated and later replaced with short-lived and refresh tokens. A refresh token is used to automatically renew access as needed.

bspindia
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

how to generate short live tokens using fetch api

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@bspindia Apps can get long-term access by requesting "offline" access, in which case the app receives a "refresh token" that can be used to retrieve new short-lived access tokens as needed, without further manual user intervention. You can find more information in the OAuth Guide and authorization documentation. I don't have a sample for this with fetch in particular, but there's a basic outline of processing this flow in this blog post which may serve as a useful example so you can translate it to fetch.

bspindia
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
i am trying to take code in res please correct headers, right now i am having error as invalid_request

fetch('https://api.dropboxapi.com/oauth2/token',{method:'post',headers:{
"Content-Type":"application/json",
"Authorization":"Bearer "+dropBox.apiKey+":"+dropBox.keySecret,
}}).then(req=>req.json()).then(res=>console.log(res)).catch(error=>console.log(error))

Š—Š“рŠ°Š²ŠŗŠ¾
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @bspindia,

The call /oauth2/token doesn't support Bearer authorization. It's used to receive such a token, not to use it. Can be used Basic authorization to pass application key and secret or pass them as parameters. Depending on exact step you are performing other parameters should be passed too, but you are skipping them in your code. Take a look on the documentation.

Hope this sheds some light.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@bspindia Š—Š“рŠ°Š²ŠŗŠ¾ is correct; your request is not formatted properly. You should use "Basic" authorization for that particular call, not "Bearer". Also, make sure you supply the necessary parameters as shown in the documentation. Check out step 5 in section 2 of this blog post for an example to translate.

bspindia
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
i am getting the code when i manually enter url in browser, but how to get using fetch api 
// authorization
let dropBox = new Object();
dropBox.apiKey = 'XXXXXXXXXX';
dropBox.apiSecret = 'XXXXXXXXX';
fetch('https://www.dropbox.com/oauth2/authorize',{method:'get',headers:{
   "Content-Type":"application/json",
   "client_id":dropBox.apiKey,
   "response_type":"code",
   "token_access_type":"offline",
   "state":"",
   "redirect_uri":"https://bspindia.online"
}})
.then(authReq=>authReq.json())
.then(authRes=>{
   // obtain token
   console.log(authRes)
   // store token in indexedDB
}).then(calldBox=>{
   // call api
})

Š—Š“рŠ°Š²ŠŗŠ¾
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @bspindia,

You cannot call /oauth2/authorize as regular API call (or similar)! This is address you should redirect to (either explicitly or with web link) your web session to let user authenticates. So you cannot use 'fetch'. To get some of results fields (including the code) you have to "catch" it in your browser address line. šŸ˜‰ Example how you can get code may be seen here and how you can get access token (short lived) may be seen here. Again, 'fetch' or any other similar method to make a web request is inapplicable in this very first step! 'fetch' is usable for all remaining API calls (regular or not).

Read the documentation with more attention to details (devil is in details šŸ˜ˆ).

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@bspindia Š—Š“рŠ°Š²ŠŗŠ¾ is correct; /oauth2/authorize is a web page, not an API call. It's where you should send the user, in their web browser, to authorize your app.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bspindia Helpful | Level 7
    Š—Š“рŠ°Š²ŠŗŠ¾ Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?