cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Integrating Dropbox Paper with Dropbox

Integrating Dropbox Paper with Dropbox

AlexisL
Dropbox Staff

Paper is a Dropbox product, but what's the relationship between Paper and Dropbox itself? We're here to tell you! Here are the basics...

Can I access my Paper docs from Dropbox?
  • You can access Paper by clicking the Paper tab on dropbox.com or by navigating to paper.dropbox.com.
  • If you don't see a link for Paper and you use Dropbox Business, your team admin may have disabled Paper. Contact your admin to discuss access to Paper.
Sidebar.png

Can I access my Dropbox files in Paper?
  • While you can’t directly access your Dropbox files in Paper, you can link or embed a file from your Dropbox directly in a doc (for example, an image or media file):
  • 1. Click an empty line in your doc
  • 2. Click the Dropbox icon
  • 3. In the pop-up window, select the file you'd like to add to the doc.

Do I need to be signed in to Dropbox to access Paper?
  • Yes, you must be signed in to Dropbox to access Paper. If you aren’t signed in to Dropbox, you are prompted to sign in when you visit the Paper homepage.

Learn more about using Paper and Dropbox together here

How do you integrate Paper and Dropbox? Do you use both? If yes, how do you leverage both for your own work or to collaborate with your team? 

27 Replies 27

thebostonartist
New member | Level 2

Indeed, not integrating Dropbox and paper is probably the most inane thing I can possibly think of vis-a-vis what doesn't work with this product.  In an of themselves Dropbox and Paper are great, heck--Dropbox has no equal as far as I'm concerned... but not smoothly working together with Paper!?!?  If you paid me and gave me a month to think about it I don't think I could come up with anything more worthy of a boob award than this failure from the developers.  Otherwise, all aces!

thebostonartist
New member | Level 2

Agreed, for having a near bulletproof cloud storage solotuion that works so seamlessly with your desktop--just an incredible product, it's almost incomprehensible some of the seriously self-defeating policy decisions these people make.

dio1337
New member | Level 2

You were great and everyone received so much from your experience and knowledge
Absolutely amazing, thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

slidedesignr
Helpful | Level 6

Any update on this? I've been using Dropbox for YEARS and I'm SO READY for my account to be upgraded to Dropbox 2020....but 2020 is more than halfway over. When is the upgrade to include Paper docs in Dropbox folders happening for existing longtime users?

lukeyo
Super User

Hi @slidedesignr 

I do get your frustration. 

Sorry, I don't know of a fixed date, but I believe it will be soon... and I guess with '2020' in the title of the service there is a finite time to the delay.

Luke

mir030
New member | Level 2
I have switched from evernote. Even though dropbox paper is missing some features still I prefer dropbox paper because of it's simplicity. Ans yes, it's free too 😀

Bill A.1
Helpful | Level 7

Our company has been with Dropbox since the very early days, before they offered Business accounts. Our team shared at the time between personal accounts. We have finally made the decision to migrate from Dropbox to Google Drive. This issue was kind of the icing on the cake for us. 

I might be venting somewhat here, but in case someone from Dropbox reads this, maybe it will offer some insights. Dropbox has failed to innovate in my opinion and the core service is not much better than it was some years ago; in fact, some things have gotten worse. For example, the previews Dropbox displays are such low quality that I'm forced to download a file just to proof it. Previews weren't this low res in the past, and no, it has nothing to do with my internet connection. Previews are so low res that we literally send proofs to clients as attachments to avoid the back-and-forth, whether it's videos, PDFs or images. 

If anyone has a legacy account such as ours, you'll know how difficult it is to unshare certain folders or simply remove certain guests throughout your account. There's no bulk or recursive way to re-permission a parent folder and all folders within it. Sure, if you're starting with a fresh account, you'll likely use groups and have your sharing worked out, but with over a decade of sharing, contractors, and clients, you'll find it virtually impossible to truely understand the web of sharing within any given account or top-level folder.

Some other gripes I'll list so that this doesn't become too long of a post:

• Carousel – Our family used to love that app for viewing photos in DB. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot with the decision to discontinue this one. This left a huge opening for Google Photos. 

• Camer Upload – This feature on iPhone simply does not work unless you have the Dropbox app open. Another reason to move to Google Photos. 
• Paper – We love taking notes in Paper, but they get lost in the ether of the Paper app which essentially requires its own filing system separate from DB itself. This was the deciding factor for us as we were told integration would happen in 2020 between Paper and DB and nothing has changed. We made the decision to switch to Google Docs instead which perfectly integrates with Drive. 

• The DB Rebrand – I know it's not related to the product directly but the rebrand was a red-flag of sorts. It's terrible, the font is ugly, the colours are ugly and the implementation has been neither here nor there. I want a serious company with a practical interface for storing our company's files, not an eccentric rebrand. 

• The sequestering of new features to more expensive plans: Professional, Standard, Plus. 

I'm not sure what Dropbox is trying to be, but file syncing is not enough in 2021. With Drive, our plan is 20% cheaper, we know longer have to pay for Google Workplace additionally, each staff member gets 2TB instead of grouped 5TB account with DB. This 2TB counts towards our email too and as far as I can tell, our shared drives are limitless. Speaking of which, it is so much more intuitive to share multiple drives. Drive is faster, has better previews, more intuitive and robust sharing and integrates better with our daily apps. 

Ther are some things Dropbox does better, such as file history, seeing deleted files, the document scanner etc. It's a shame we're leaving but we feel like Dropbox is at a deadend. 

earge
Helpful | Level 5

Hello all,

Also a long-time user and everyone is getting very frustrated with the app. It seems that Paper 2020 (lol) still hasn't been integrated with Dropbox, at least for us. And we're 2 months into 2021!

DROPBOX TEAM IF YOU READ THIS YOU ARE LOSING CUSTOMERS

We are very close to switching over to Google Drive right now

jcavazos
Helpful | Level 6

5 months into 2021. Still no timeline on update according to dropbox's customer support. Lost a customer here.

petervangalen
New member | Level 2

Still waiting...

Need more support?