cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Work Processing' in Dropbox Paper

'Work Processing' in Dropbox Paper

stoweboyd
Helpful | Level 6

Paper is today's best example of 'work processing' -- managing the state and particulars of on-going work activities -- within the context of documents, as opposed to traditional task management or project management tools. The term is taken from 'word processing', and intentional suggests a new day for documents.

The flexibility and fluidity of Paper's approach to managing native information, embedding content in various media from outside sources, and the rich task model provided by Paper represents the next generation of how individuals, teams, and organizations will stay on top of work. 

There's more to build out, but Paper is a giant step forward from the early days of cloud documents and file-sync-and-share. 

#Paperusecase 

7 Replies 7

AlexisL
Dropbox Staff

Hi @stoweboyd! What an exciting perspective on Paper and the concept of work processing. Thank you for sharing!

We'd love to learn more about how Paper and work processing fit into your day to day. What type of industry or team do you work in and how has Paper specifically helped you evolve your work beyond the early days of cloud documents?

stoweboyd
Helpful | Level 6

I am a researcher, analyst, and writer. I tried work processing with Dropbox Paper for several months. However, I migrated to a different collection of tools -- a not totally satisfactory solution -- principally because I wanted to be able to share the tasks embedded in the documents with others. As a result, I am using an integration of Evernote with Todoist, mediated by sync technology from Pleexy. But, as a result, I can assign a task created in a document but synced in Todoist to a contributor. And when they check it off in their Todoist, it is updated in my Evernote document.

I would much rather use Dropbox Paper in this system, however, in place of Evernote.

stoweboyd
Helpful | Level 6

fixed.

AlexisL
Dropbox Staff

Hi @stoweboyd ! The additional context is helpful. When you say, "fixed" in your most recent comment, what are you referring to specifically? 

Also, I wonder if there's a way to revisit Paper as a tool for the workflows you describe, since you seem to be so passionate about Paper. When you say you're interested in sharing tasks, are you referring specifically to sharing or to task assignments? I'll be happy to help you explore some options from there. 

stoweboyd
Helpful | Level 6

I dropped Evernote/Todoist and moved onto Dropbox Paper. Although I can't share a single task (as in Todoist) I have shifted to managing my work in small, topical files so that I can share those with various individuals.

Would still be great if individual tasks could be shared.

Re 'fixed' -- I made a typo in an earlier comment. Not important.

stoweboyd
Helpful | Level 6

PS My discussion of 'work processing' will soon be published in a Gigaom report, vol 3 of the State of Work Technologies 2019. Pass my deets along to the Dropbox AR folks!

AlexisL
Dropbox Staff

How exciting, @stoweboyd ! Please follow up with us here in the community to share the report!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AlexisL Dropbox Staff
    stoweboyd Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?