Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

7 Comments
0 Likes
Highlighted
Level 3

Syncing everything everytime I start the computer

I am currently sharing dropbox with two other users but using my computer to store all of the files locally. The problem is that dropbox syncs every single file (700.000 +) everytime I start up the computer.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

7 Replies
Super User II

Re: Syncing everything everytime I start the computer

Do you mean its 'Indexing' all of the files upon start up? When you mouse over the icon thats what it will say?

If so you cant change or stop that I'm afraid. This is Dropbox checking whats on the machine and that everything matches what Dropbox has online to work out what files have changed and what needs updating.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3

Right now it's not indexing, It says that it's downloading 248,001 Files

Super User II

When you shut the machine down on an evening has it finished downloading everything?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3

not every time, but it has finished the entire download quite a few times.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there, firstly, since you have more than 300,000 files, the Dropbox desktop application performance would decrease, so this could be a reason why it’s needing to index and sync again.

Are there any amendments being made online? Since the files are shared it’s possible that they’re moving the files from one location to another.

Let us know what you find out!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

The amendments that are made is by the other two users in their separate computers, but most often one file at a time. We've only been using dropbox like this for about a month, but the first two weeks there was no problem at all. Also the constant resyncing is only happening on my computer.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Apologies for the delay, are you still experiencing this issue on your end with the re-syncing?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Dropbox Business
Community discussion

Welcome! Discussion like these allow you to get the most out of Dropbox Business.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post