cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API requests performance issues.

API requests performance issues.

Tautvydas L.
New member | Level 1

The issue we dealing with is when moving or copying files in DropBox server to another folder in DropBox server.
The API requires to send request for each file separately. That takes way too long.
Maybe You provide some kind of batch request so I could move more than one files per request?
I also know the ability to move all folder content, but it doesn't work on our case, cause we need only subset of files to move.
If we try to flush many request at once threw several connections, we get 'Server Unavailable' or 'File Locked' errors and need to repeat request again.

Tl;DR;
To move 1000 files that already are in DropBox server it takes over 30 minutes.

What possible solutions You have to increase the performance?

Thanks,
Tautvydas Liepa

4 Replies 4

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Unfortunately there isn't currently any way to perform file operations in batch or improve performance like this with the API, but I'll be sure to pass this along as feedback.

Mary B.41
New member | Level 1

I needed to move 40 files to a folder and tried something that worked for me. I highlighted the files I needed by holding my left mouse button over the last one (they were all in one list under the folders). Then, I dragged them to the folder I wanted them in and dropped. I tried a few files to see if it would work, the highlighted the final 30 or so and they all dropped nicely into place.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Quick update: the API does now have support for batch moves:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation/http/documentation#files-move_batch

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mary B.41 New member | Level 1
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Steve M. Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?