cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access shared folder through API without access token

Highlighted

Access shared folder through API without access token

Explorer | Level 3

I'm building an Android app that needs to display content (images and videos) that we remotely manage. The app will be pre-installed and pre-configured on a device given to end-users. The idea is that we have a "Content X" folder in our Dropbox where we manage the content and potentially multiple devices can be configured to automatically fetch their content from the "Content X" folder.

The challenge basically lies in how we access only the "Content X" folder through the API (following the principle of least privilege). My first idea was to create a shared link for the "Content X" folder thinking that this would be enough to use the /list_folder endpoint for that specific folder. Unfortunately, I've come to the conclusion that I need an access token anyway. I'd like to avoid having to authenticate with our Dropbox account in order to get an access token each time we set up a device for a number of reasons and security concerns. I'd also like to avoid storing an access token in the APK for security concerns. Right now, the best solution I've come up with is to proxy the endpoint. Do you have any alternative suggestions on how best to approach this problem?

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Access shared folder through API without access token

Dropboxer

Unfortunately, there isn't really a better way to do this with the functionality currently provided by the Dropbox API, but I'll pass this along as a feature request, e.g., for app authentication support (instead of user authentication, which requires an access token) for /2/files/list_folder[/continue]. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

One alternative though is to use the Dropbox shared link modified for direct access, e.g,. as documented here: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/force-download There are some downsides to that though, namely:

• You can't list the contents of a linked folder.
  • You would have to download the entire folder as a zip; you can't download only a particular file or folder inside the linked folder.
Highlighted

Re: Access shared folder through API without access token

Explorer | Level 3

Thank for the reply! I'll look into it

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?